Singapore Expats Forum

Any Reader's Club here?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!

Postby Guest » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:42 am

Well let me see... Atlantis the Sunken City... Actually many people have claimed to found the city of Atlantis... there are lots of controversies surrouunding it... some said it sunk because it got swamped by a giant tsunami, some said it sank due to displacemnt of the earth caused by a violent volcanic eruption... well i don't know much about it because evidence is very vague... and therefore its a bit of a headache to study... :oops: Well the ancient city of Alexandria in Egypt, also disappeared but it actually sunk into the sea due to a giant earthquake...

as for china.. nice... :P but too a large extent it is very controversial... for example, the Nanking Massacre: China claimed 200,000 people were killed; but that was impossible.. there were only 30,000 people living in the city at that time.. so where did an excess of 170,000 bodies come from? :shock:

Ancient china stretches out over a long long time. But the dynasty that really interested me was the Ming dynasty. this was the period where china built the largest ships in the world (at that point in time) and navigation technology was at its peak. :wink:

Jun
Editor
Editor

Postby Jun » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:23 pm

Well dear guest, you are right about Atlantis 'the sunken city' up until now no confirmation where really the place was....some said around pacific ocean...some said somewhere between indonesia and australia...some said carribean..some said eygpt...alots of myth surrounding .... so...according to you, atlantis real or just a myth?

for ancient china, Ming's dynasty, first come accross to my mind will be Great wall and famous for its pottery (blue and white porcelain)... :oops:

cheers

kansah
Regular
Regular

Postby kansah » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 1:46 pm

I consider Atlantis as a myth, and until people find concrete evidence of it's existence, i will always consider it a myth. But i don't discount it's possibility of existence, considering how mother nature destroys and creates 8)

As for chinese history, not that knowledgeable. Know a few tidbits, here and there.

Any update on the book club? I'm into Fantasy at the moment, but I dont mind reading other stuff, except non-fiction, hehe. Find it too boring :roll:
Think of the solution; not the problem.

Conscripted

Postby Conscripted » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 1:48 pm

i'm quite interested in this history discussion thing. i'm a history grad myself and i studied the Russian Revolution myself in my last year. so i'm keen to hear what others have to say about this and other topics. keep the thread going and hope something can be organised.

Shazers
Regular
Regular

Hmmm.............

Postby Shazers » Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:49 pm

Allo,

Regarding Atlantis....reading Atlantis by David Gibbins...really good! I dare not say that Atlantis is a myth really! Anyway this is covering the Ancient History bit!

Also, just read finish Anne Rice bks, Memnoch the Devil! Quite good i dare say...lotsa of Religious bit in it though its characters are of the dark side! Anyonbne read this before...care to discuss.........

Shazers
Books are flights of fantasies........

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Postby samantha » Wed, 27 Jul 2005 6:22 pm

actually the guest who wrote the post right at the top was me :oops: i think i logged out by accident when i wrote that.... really sorri :oops: :oops: :oops:

righto history is beautiful... anne rice is a wonderful writer... i absolutely adore her :D ... my favourite book by her is interview with the vampire!!hmmm there's much more to china than pottery...
actually i prefer japanese pottery.. they have ancient pieces that are so thin you can almost see through it!

By the way any fans of the authors chris bunch and david gemmell here? oh if you want a novel that is VERY closely related to history and religion, you can try this book called Credo.. very nice book, a tad confusing, a pain to finish... i think its about 1000 odd pages thick.. :shock:

i took 2 miserable days to finish the book amd at the end of it, i was walking crossed eyed around the house... sigh.. but then plot was interesting though :P
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Postby samantha » Wed, 27 Jul 2005 7:43 pm

hey there is an interjc girls soccer match on sat.. anybody interested in coming? its at 8.30 am..
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

soully

Hi...

Postby soully » Mon, 01 Aug 2005 8:47 pm

Hi people..

They are actually a number of such groups in Singapore. I'm working in the book trade. I'll compile them and post it in my next post. In the meantime if you guys/gals need any books pls email/msg me. I can get good discounts.

Regards and smile always...

ps soully79@yahoo.com.sg
"Give a little soul to a souless life and may it fill the souless life with a little soul..."

tetris

Postby tetris » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 12:24 pm

Dear all,

Hi, i'm also a bookish...! Anyone wants to pioneer this thing? i'll be glad to join, yippie!

looking forward,
tetris
killiney_road@yahoo.com

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Mon, 08 Aug 2005 12:42 am

Alright guys,

I have created a groups for the readers' club.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Readers_Club/members

Do join in; it would be a better way to keep up with the developments.

As of now the first meeting will be this coming Thursday 11th August at 8PM.

Venue would be Eddie's Place ( a Restraunt/bar) at the Eurasian Association Building

Timing and venue will be confirmed over the next few days again. In the meantime do sign up. I have posted a few questions on the groups which would prove useful to shape the nature of the club!

Cheers,
Kats