Singapore Expats Forum

OMG! Not again!!!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

OMG

OMG! Not again!!!

Postby OMG » Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:06 am

July 21, 2005
3 London Tube stations evacuated after blasts
LONDON - Three London Underground stations were evacuated at midday on Thursday following reports of smoke and explosions, two weeks after a series of bombings targeted London's public transport system.

Police also were investigating a report of an incident on a bus in east London.

London police chief Ian Blair confirmed that there were four explosions around the city on Thursday, causing a small number of casualties.

We know that we had four explosions or attempted explosions... At the moment the casualties appear to be very low in the explosions, the bombs appear to be smaller than on the last occasion,' he said, referring to bombs a week ago that killed 56 in London.

British Transport Police say one person has been hurt at Warren Street subway station, but did not know how serious the injury was.

There were unconfirmed reports of several explosions or sounds of explosions.

Services on the Victoria and Northern lines were suspended, London Underground said.

Sky TV showed live footage of a double-decker bus parked by the side of the road and said its windows had been blown out. In the footage, there was nobody on board or nearby and the streets appeared to have been cordoned off.

More than an hour after the reports, Metropolitan Police said they were not treating it as a major incident on a par with the July 7 attacks which killed 56 people. But the quick succession of multiple incidents and the initial confusion were reminiscent of that day.

One witness said he had been told by another subway passenger that a rucksack had exploded on a train.

Prime Minister Tony Blair cancelled his afternoon appointments as the developments unfolded.

Police said Warren Street, Shepherds Bush and Oval underground stations had been evacuated. Emergency services personnel were called to the stations, police said.

BBC TV reporter Keith Doyle near Oval station said a police officer had told him there had been an incident although it was not an explosion. He said officers had cordoned off a wide area around the station.

'People were panicking. But very fortunately the train was only 15 seconds from the station,' witness Ivan McCracken told Sky news.

Mr McCracken said another passenger had claimed he had seen a rucksack explode. The bombs which killed 56 people on three underground trains and a bus in London on July 7 were carried in rucksacks, police said.

He added that he smelled smoke and that people were panicking and coming into his carriage.

'I was in the carriage and we smelt smoke - it was like something was burning,' said Mr Losiane Mohellavi, 35, who was evacuated at Warren Street.

'Everyone was panicked and people were screaming. We had to pull the alarm. I am still shaking,' he said. -- AP, AFP

:shock: :shock:

Postby Guest » Sat, 23 Jul 2005 2:12 am

This is terrible news not just for us British, but for the Brit born Muslims....I tell you right now, and I am not making this up. The feeling against Muslims is falling and may well hit rock bottom. This is not the fault of the vast majority of good kind Muslim folk, but it will rubbish life up for them here as a huge percentage of Brit people just cannot bear to be associated with them. I saw folk looking at girls in Arab dress in town today and the dirty looks and the extra staring just in case they were carrying things they shouldn't be probably. In the tube everyone stares at foreign looking people now. I HATE THIS, THIS IS WHAT THESE CRAZY MEN ARE DOING TO US.

cinder
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cinder » Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:02 pm

I can understand how you feel - so maybe it's time to do something about it, eh?

Face the fact: Muslim is minority. Being a minority bears the consequency to be scrutinised by the 'common' ones - that's the ugly reality of society. And what you need to do now is to open up, let everybody knows what's on your shelves - in that way, hopefully, less prejudice on you.

Lots can be done on personal level. Simple 'hiya' to your neighbours, mingling on school or work, enrolling your kids on secular schools are simple examples. I dont say every muslim is exclusive, but I saw lots of them are (and I dont say you are exclusive either, since I don't know you). Another thing is proud to be who you are. The problems with 'modern' muslims are they keep their identities secret - so people see only the 'traditional' ones.

Why dont ask your leader to hire professional PR to give you advice on how disintegrate yourself from tainted image of muslim? Why dont you gather your strenght and help those muslim less fortunate in society or financially less secured, open up their minds that the problems lying on wider society and nothing to do with religion or race or such?

I dont say opening up will solve all problems. Islam, as any other religions, has to think about on how to adapt and move forward on this age. However, I believe that by opening up and showing your own willingness and efforts (not efforts pushed by somebody else) are the good start.

Stop whingeing. You have a principle, and it is now tainted because of bunch of nutters. Unless you wanna jump to the another side of the fence, you have to stand on your feet to keep your principle alive.

Non whinger

Postby Non whinger » Sat, 23 Jul 2005 5:16 pm

I beg your bloody pardon..........stop whingeing you said....you stupid person. Do you think that when many of your countrymen die it is WHINGEING?

And for your information, I have lived and worked with Muslims for the best part of my adult life, and have many, many Muslim friends....Sikhs and Hindu and others too for that matter.

I am fully aware of the fact that integration is the only answer to these terrible problems and THAT is what ALL fair minded people, ALL OVER THE WORLD are trying to work towards.

I was merely relaying the status quo as it stands now in Britain, and becrying the fact that it a sad reflection on our British 'live and let live' policy.

How DARE you say that sorrow, disgust and terror are WHINGEING?

Let us hope that wherever you are from, be it Singapore or wherever, that you do not get touched by this sort of mayhem. A friend of mine had both her legs blown off, is in her twenties and how do you think that makes everyone who knows her feel? (Oh yes, whingeing, I forgot.) Oh, and of course, princliples...poppycock!!

Why don't I ask my LEADER???? to hire professional PR? Get a grip for God's sake. You think PR will wash with nutters? Why don't I help less fortunate MUSLIMS? To do what? Live here again and breed insanity? We DO help MUSLIMS...AND ALL OUR COUNTRYMEN. They have as much right in law here as a person whose family has lived here for thousands of years. They, in fact, should be the ones to stop 'whingeing' if we must keep usuing your ridiculous word.

In fact, why don't you just keep your nose out of it altogether?

cinder
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cinder » Sun, 24 Jul 2005 3:42 pm

For the start, sorry that my choice of word hurts people. I apologise for it.

Secondly, I replied the post with assumption that the second poster is British muslim.

Third, even tho only expressed on single sentence, but I do understand your situtation (again, based on my second assumption) and do concern bout British muslim and any muslim who dont have the same ideas as muslim terorists. My symphaty on them.

Therefore I post my reply. The gist of it is that no matter how difficult muslim's situation is and how frustrated muslim are, they have to be strong for their own good and start intensively doing something to differentiate muslim from muslim extrimist and to stop more and more muslim become extrimist. And these should be done both personally and collectively.