Singapore Expats Forum

Frustrated

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Delhite

Frustrated

Postby Delhite » Wed, 13 Jul 2005 8:05 pm

Hi ,I am a girl , an MBA , had a great carreer in India , Gr8 salary of 5 Lacs at 2 years of work ex, a gud carreer ahead, but came to Singapore, as hubby got transfered here, thought I wud find a gud job here too, but , I have lost it compltly , its been 2 months lukin for a job , but ppl hang up when they cum to know that I am on DP, I am loosing all my earlier confidence that I had in me ... Plzz help, do Indian MBAs in mkting , never get jobs here ???

Postby Guest » Wed, 13 Jul 2005 8:20 pm

I am afraid MBA's grow on trees. Not really a deisred skills, and any local can match or beat your skills.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Jul 2005 9:17 pm

You would probably have better luck if you wrote better english. I know I wouldn't bother asking to see you CV by looking at your posting. Do you have any idea who else may be reading these posts? I thought not.

sms

cinder
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cinder » Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:00 pm

cant agree more with sms.

:evil: cant understand why people use text-style writing here in - we have almost unlimited space to write on! me myself is not good at english - but at least i use normal style.

Oriental
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Frustrated

Postby Oriental » Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:18 pm

Delhite wrote:Hi ,I am a girl , an MBA , had a great carreer in India , Gr8 salary of 5 Lacs at 2 years of work ex, a gud carreer ahead, but came to Singapore, as hubby got transfered here, thought I wud find a gud job here too, but , I have lost it compltly , its been 2 months lukin for a job , but ppl hang up when they cum to know that I am on DP, I am loosing all my earlier confidence that I had in me ... Plzz help, do Indian MBAs in mkting , never get jobs here ???

An MBA-degree is nothing more than a piece of paper. It is what you do with it that counts. Your ability to put your academic knowledge and business experience to work is what will define whether or not you are considered an asset to a company.

What you are facing now is probably one of the most challenging marketing jobs you will ever encounter. The marketing of yourself. So I guess this is the big test of your marketing skills.
Impossible is nothing!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 14 Jul 2005 1:20 am

Delhite wrote:Hi ,I am a girl , an MBA , had a great carreer in India , Gr8 salary of 5 Lacs at 2 years of work ex, a gud carreer ahead, but came to Singapore, as hubby got transfered here, thought I wud find a gud job here too, but , I have lost it compltly , its been 2 months lukin for a job , but ppl hang up when they cum to know that I am on DP, I am loosing all my earlier confidence that I had in me ... Plzz help, do Indian MBAs in mkting , never get jobs here ???

Oriental hit the nail on the head!

But if you like, you can take a look at www.drinkingvinegar.com and give me a quick brief, on how you would penetrate the indian market here in Singapore? In your own time and cheaper the better.

I actually want to evaluate your creative and survival skills, so budget is very limited indeed. No free launches, but there are good rewards.

Postby Guest » Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:59 am

I agree with others - improve your English first. By the way, 2 months is nothing. I know people who have similar backgrounds to yourself and have been jobless for a year! Singaporeans are always given priorities over foriegners for jobs. Try talking to recruitment agencies.

kansah
Regular
Regular

Postby kansah » Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:07 am

not wanting to ask a stupid question or anything, but here goes.

what is MBA? Masters degree in Business Administration? :oops:
Last edited by kansah on Sat, 16 Jul 2005 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Think of the solution; not the problem.

Postby Guest » Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:14 am

Kansah, a MBA is a Masters in Business Administration. Masteral is not a word.

Dehlite - you should market yourself by focusing on your skill set and accomplishments. As others have said, these days MBAs are common, it doesnt mean much anymore. Oh and never write "lakhs" when you are outside of India. People don't know what that equates to and don't care. You are in another country - you should do your research and adjust yourself to the norms here.

Postby Guest » Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:31 am

Also keep in mind that the job placement process could take up to several months here. I know in India you can get a job within a week. But in Singapore it takes much longer than that. I once interviewed for a job four months after initially applying for it.

Here's some advice you should really consider though. Look around Singapore - you will see tons of expat wives with nothing to do all day long. Many of them had very successful careers back home and are now stuck in Singapore with nothing to do. This is a reality for you. It could be a likelihood that you will never get a job at all. It has nothing to do with you personally. People on DP do not have a gauranteed right to work here. It is just the way it is.

In the meantime, do some volunteer work. Look into other avenues of where you could be useful. There are many polytechnics in Singapore that are always on the lookout for full time or part time teachers. Try your luck with them.

Mazda

Postby Mazda » Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:48 pm

A change in attitude and some humility would really be a good start missy!
You've just been here 2 months? Get to know the environment, get to know the people, read the papers, magazines, find out all thats going on on the corporate site, mingle, network, and get rid of the "whats in it for me" mindset. Become a nicer, kinder, more compassionate and understanding person first (if your husband has an attitude like yours, would be good if he too changed a bit!)

Once you've done that inner change, start mixing with ALL races, be open minded, be curious. Once you do all of the above, and start to change,,, you might actually find that you are suddenly meeting people who could help you with the job search.. its universal law.

OK? Dont go off in a huff after reading this, do some soul searching and stop listening to the complaints of other expats here. Do your OWN homework!!

Delhite

English

Postby Delhite » Thu, 14 Jul 2005 4:00 pm

Dear Mr SMS , if sumbody is using shortcuts for convenience , and that too on an informal forrum like this one , doesnt in any way mean his english is bad ! just give yourself a beark OK.
By the way for your information I am a graduate in English Hons with a first class from Delhi university and an MBA from XLRI , guess I dont need to tell you more about my english and attitude.
Hope it suffices.
and in future if you cant help sumbody in distress , please dont come up with your global gyan.

Indi.Lens
Regular
Regular

Postby Indi.Lens » Thu, 14 Jul 2005 6:29 pm

Hi Delhite

I understand your frustration on suddenly being un-employed here. However, as Mazda the guest suggested, its time you examined your attitude. Coming to a different country, you first need to understand and try to integrate in the local environment. Most of your jargon - gyan, lakhs etc are not understood in a foreign country. Your English and especially your attitude are far from desirable. So what if you are a graduate from Delhi University or XLRI? Please remember that you are not in Delhi.

Having said that, I do understand how difficult it is to get a job here. Take heart, it is just about two months you are here. Make more local friends and refrain from your jargon. Perhaps you may want to check out the MBA networking thread and start networking with them. Additionally you may want to go to the job fair starting from 15th July at the Expo. That may help you familiarise with the job scene here.

Wish you good luck.
Thou Art That

guestt

hi

Postby guestt » Thu, 14 Jul 2005 6:47 pm

by the way Mr Indilens where is this carreer fare happening , from 15 July , I am also unemployed , would like to rake a look , you never know , what might click.plzz let us know the venue and dates

Indi.Lens
Regular
Regular

Re: hi

Postby Indi.Lens » Thu, 14 Jul 2005 6:52 pm

guestt wrote:by the way Mr Indilens where is this carreer fare happening , from 15 July , I am also unemployed , would like to rake a look , you never know , what might click.plzz let us know the venue and dates

I am not sure of the exact location. Remember reading that in Straits Times and it is on from 15th through 17th at the Singapore Expo.
Thou Art That

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”