Singapore Expats Forum

Wind Surfing - Calling all interested

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
aeropriest

Postby aeropriest » Mon, 11 Jul 2005 3:36 pm

Hello There

You decided to read this post mean you probably want to wind surt. Well I am 27 years old male IT professional and into many kind of sports. Been looking to wind surf (actually surf but no waves in Singapore) for sometime now but din know where to go what to do.

I found out about the sailing club at east cost. I am looking for people who know to wind surt so I can join or those who don know so we form a group and take coaching.

Later may be we can go other places and look into surfing as well. Other water sports, I am certfied scuba diver, I love snorkling and wana surfing and jet skiing.

Interested people please PM me so we can meet up sometime somewhere and may be can go surf this weekend.

Cheers
Jais

Postby Guest » Mon, 11 Jul 2005 8:18 pm

Hi there, expat female here, 27 as well and also pretty much into water sport. going quite on a regular basis scuba diving and wakeboarding. I d love to try kyte surfing. mana mana on bintan is a nice spot but not sure about the winds at this period... anybody knows?
well, if somebody is interested, please let me know we could organize something!

aeropriest

Postby aeropriest » Tue, 12 Jul 2005 9:33 am

Hi There

You did not leave any contact info ...please mail me or PM and we can plan something and get few more people in...ashok.jaiswal@gmail.com

cheers
jais

VenusHoshii

Postby VenusHoshii » Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:08 am

hey, this is exactly what I was looking for, and aeropriest, I am a surfer so can shre what I know with you, but totally new to windsurfing, prefer to do with a gang

so how to get in touch?

aeropriest

Postby aeropriest » Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:07 am

Hi

Cool then we can do it this weekend. I am waiting to so if there are more people. Wind surfing should not be tough but if we are enough people we can hire a coach or something.

Would love to learn surfing. I would PM you so u can get in touch.

Cheers
Jais

The Dude

Postby The Dude » Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:39 pm

Hi all,

I'm a 27 yrs old Dutch expat - new to any water sports basically (except swimming - LOL ), but I'd love to learn kite surfing, windsurfing etc.

So maybe I can join in, learn from you or from a coach or whatever...

Cheers
Although the chance of rain on that day was bigger than forecasted, the chance was still not that big that it did in fact rain, that day.

aeropriest

Postby aeropriest » Wed, 13 Jul 2005 4:22 pm

Guest, Venus and Dude(Chris right)

Please either PM me or e-mail so we can decide upon time. I and Dude most probably are going on Saturday so anyone wana come along just message me so I can give you an address. you can mail at ashok.jaiswal@gmail.com i.e. ashok dot jaiswal at gmail dot com

cheers
jais

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Wed, 20 Jul 2005 6:26 pm

Hi,
I'm coming to Singapore in the beginning of August for half a year, and am looking for surfing locations. I know the basics of both windsurfing and surfing, but actually I'm especially interested in surfing (on waves).

Maybe there's a spot not too far away to go to, probably in Malaysia? Does anyone know any surfers in the area?

have fun windsurfing :)

VenusHoshii

Postby VenusHoshii » Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:28 pm

Thrar do you surf or just want to?

You can do it now in Phuket, Malaysia I hear is out of season, but I am keen to check it out, I heard Chereting or something like that is occasionally good.

Long or Short?

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Thu, 21 Jul 2005 4:15 am

VH, what do you mean (surfing/want to surf)?
I've been in northern Spain for 2 weeks last summer where I learned the basic things, so I'm not an experienced surfer, if that's what you mean. We've been using Malibus last year, so I'd say I don't have a preference which type of board to use, I know too little about them.

Phuket is quite a bit away, isn't it? I don't really care about getting big waves or something, since I'm not good enough anyway, just a little bit to practice and have fun. ^^

VenusHoshii

Postby VenusHoshii » Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:28 am

[quote="Thrar"]VH, what do you mean (surfing/want to surf)?
[quote/]

just seeing where you are at with the sport

well, it's not a sport actually, more a way of life

and there is a difference between a rank beginner and someone at the point you're at

Phuket is 1.5 hours by plane, another hour to get to the beach, so it's not really that far considering we can't surf here - I was there a month ago and the waves were big - a head and a half and a bit nasty as the wind was onshore - not big for a Hawaiian or Aussie, but definitely not recommended for someone at your level - I was struggling the whole time I was out just to get out

it does get nice there too though, good longboard waves, and they have a lot of rentals available now, just go to the extreme south end of Kata Beach and ask for Mikel the Swede, or Noot his Thai wife (also a surfer) - great people and they give lessons

and you're right, surfing is not (only) about huge macho-man waves, as you know you can have the time of your life on waist-high waves if the break is good, like in California, though those size waves work better on a longboard ("Malibu")

the closest place is Bintan, an hour by ferry, but don't think there's much surf there this time of year

I'm actually planning to hit there the next time the swell picks up, and have a contact who works at the surf shop there, so send me a personal message and maybe we can hook up

josiewales

kitesurfing???

Postby josiewales » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:08 am

Howdy. Im moving to Singapore from Ireland in September for 1 or 2 yrs.
I've been surfing a couple of years but prefer staying in swell about 4-5 foot high as Im not experienced enough for anythin bigger. Im looking to take up kitesurfing when I get there I've had a couple of lessons and have done a bit of windsurfing as well. So I wouldn't mind hooking up with anyone else that is keen to head out at wknds/evenings giving it a go.

Anyone interested?

I read that theres swell nov-march in bintan island - is it worth going there for a day surfing or are the waves exaggerated by the resort ?

josie@josiewales.com

All the best,
Joey

rainsky

Re: kitesurfing???

Postby rainsky » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 1:11 am

josiewales wrote:Howdy. Im moving to Singapore from Ireland in September for 1 or 2 yrs.
I've been surfing a couple of years but prefer staying in swell about 4-5 foot high as Im not experienced enough for anythin bigger. Im looking to take up kitesurfing when I get there I've had a couple of lessons and have done a bit of windsurfing as well. So I wouldn't mind hooking up with anyone else that is keen to head out at wknds/evenings giving it a go.

Anyone interested?

I read that theres swell nov-march in bintan island - is it worth going there for a day surfing or are the waves exaggerated by the resort ?

josie@josiewales.com

All the best,
Joey

cool. so when exactly is the windsurfing date?
am very rusty in windsurfing now so probably just use the big fat blue board.
I'm very keen on kitesurfing but the cost is quite high!
maybe someone wanna state the date and time?
live a little bit more

MusicFever
Chatter
Chatter

sea sports

Postby MusicFever » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 10:46 am

Another water sports lover here, good swimmer and snorkeller, live 10 mins walking distance to east coast. Currently pretty interested in learning wind surfing, totally beginner. Would like to join you on Sat or Sun afternoon after 3:00pm. If you have any plans, we may exchange contact info by PM here.
Keep me posted. Thank you.
Cheers!

VenusHoshii

Postby VenusHoshii » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:23 pm

just checking in, haven't been to this board in a while - some of us met up and took lessons, so we're just on our way

if you are interested PM me and we can see about more people coming along - it's fun but a long learning curve and we're all beginners (windsurfing) and for surfing, for those who do it maybe we can visit Bintan when the waves pick up, or even if they're small as I longboard and anything head-high or less is fun for me