Singapore Expats Forum

Maid dental costs

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Not from here!

Maid dental costs

Postby Not from here! » Sat, 09 Jul 2005 11:32 am

We have been in Singapore less than a year. Our maid is having dental problems. MOM guidelines say we must pay for medical care, but we can find no reference as to which party is responsible for dental costs. Surely, cosmetic issues would not be the employers' responsibility, but we are uncertain who should pay for basic care like extraction, filings, etc. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Maid dental costs

Postby Guest » Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:22 am

Not from here! wrote:We have been in Singapore less than a year. Our maid is having dental problems. MOM guidelines say we must pay for medical care, but we can find no reference as to which party is responsible for dental costs. Surely, cosmetic issues would not be the employers' responsibility, but we are uncertain who should pay for basic care like extraction, filings, etc. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

you think your maid can afford the cost of dental charges?
use your common sense.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 11 Jul 2005 1:48 pm

Not from here! wrote:We have been in Singapore less than a year. Our maid is having dental problems. MOM guidelines say we must pay for medical care, but we can find no reference as to which party is responsible for dental costs. Surely, cosmetic issues would not be the employers' responsibility, but we are uncertain who should pay for basic care like extraction, filings, etc. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

What is your point here? You yourself state here that you are supposed to pay for the dental costs (MOM guidelines), which to me seems totally right as well, so what are you now asking for?

Eric

Postby Guest » Mon, 11 Jul 2005 2:19 pm

just throw away maid, hire new one, no big deal

NC

Postby NC » Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:22 pm

Hi,

I'm an expat dentist, been in singapore 5 months. I work in a residential area and see lots of maids. I can tell you from experience that both types of employers exist- there are those who refuse to pay $5 for their maids, and others who are willing to spend $300 on surgery for their maids if need be. My understanding is that dental is NOT part of medical costs, although it should be- most maids don't come to us unless they have a swollen face or are in severe pain. Every dentist is different when it comes to charging maids. Personally, I set a fixed, very low price for whatever they need - more often than not, it's an extraction, and I throw in all the medicines at no charge, because I realise that the majority are paying out of their pockets. I work in a group practice, and many of our dentists do the same. Hope this helps.

Oriental
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Oriental » Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:02 pm

Anonymous wrote:just throw away maid, hire new one, no big deal

Dear “guest”
Last edited by Oriental on Sat, 16 Jul 2005 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Impossible is nothing!

Oriental
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Oriental » Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:20 pm

NC wrote:Hi,

I'm an expat dentist, been in singapore 5 months. I work in a residential area and see lots of maids. I can tell you from experience that both types of employers exist- there are those who refuse to pay $5 for their maids, and others who are willing to spend $300 on surgery for their maids if need be. My understanding is that dental is NOT part of medical costs, although it should be- most maids don't come to us unless they have a swollen face or are in severe pain. Every dentist is different when it comes to charging maids. Personally, I set a fixed, very low price for whatever they need - more often than not, it's an extraction, and I throw in all the medicines at no charge, because I realise that the majority are paying out of their pockets. I work in a group practice, and many of our dentists do the same. Hope this helps.

Dear NC,

I hope your post will be a source of inspiration to a lot of people.

I for one admire you effort to help those who are less fortunate.
Impossible is nothing!

Merlion

Postby Merlion » Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:36 pm

Good God there is enough maid abuse from locals!

Please go back to the rock you climbed out of.

:x