Singapore Expats Forum

Engineers in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

fire

Postby fire » Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:22 am

advice wrote:i have a bachelor's degree in civil engineering and had a 4000 job as a project engineer. today, i am getting paid 7500 excluding allowances.

May I know how many years it took you to reach 7500 fom 4000? Are you now at managerial position? I didn't know that a project engineer can be paid so well. In my company, Senior engineers who joined in during the "good times" are paid as well as you. It's a different story for us "later generation". sigh.....

800000 foreign workers

Postby 800000 foreign workers » Sat, 23 Jul 2005 9:30 am

Actually, Singapore was the 2nd most competitive economy (UN World Economic Forum Report) for the last seven or so years until 2003 when a recession due to SARS and Iraq War.

This year their economy powers ahead with estimate of 8%. Their ranking should improve next year.

If you stay in Singapore long enough, you'll discover the present of talented Malaysians in almost every field. Likewise, factory workers are mostly Malaysians even public sectors.

Each morning, the sight of busloads upon busloads of workers from Johor to Singapore is break taking.

Currently about 200000 Malaysians are working there out of about 800000 foreign workers in Singapore.

Here is how to destroy Singapore economy: Shut down the causeway and 2nd link. The dependency is critical.

The thing about Singapore is although unemployment is 4%, estimate 3% next year, they have never asked some of the 800000 foreigners to leave so much more Singapore can take over.

Postby Guest » Mon, 25 Jul 2005 9:36 pm

huh?? so chim!

Guest2005

Postby Guest2005 » Wed, 27 Jul 2005 2:42 pm

>The thing about Singapore is although unemployment is 4%, estimate >3% next year, they have never asked some of the 800000 foreigners to >leave so much more Singapore can take over.

I take umbrage at such an ignorant remark.

There are many jobs held by foreigners in Singapore because there is not enough local talent to take over. I'm sure you will find that if you ask those foreigners to leave, you will have an impossible time filling up the vacancies with local people. Many of these jobs require highly specialized skills and training. The yearly supply of (university) graduates in Singapore is still insufficient to meet the needs of some rapidly expanding industries. At my workplace, 70% of the technical staff are foreigners. We're not taking jobs away from Singaporeans, we're filling in the gaps!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Jul 2005 4:27 pm

Guest2005 wrote:>The thing about Singapore is although unemployment is 4%, estimate >3% next year, they have never asked some of the 800000 foreigners to >leave so much more Singapore can take over.

I take umbrage at such an ignorant remark.

There are many jobs held by foreigners in Singapore because there is not enough local talent to take over. I'm sure you will find that if you ask those foreigners to leave, you will have an impossible time filling up the vacancies with local people. Many of these jobs require highly specialized skills and training. The yearly supply of (university) graduates in Singapore is still insufficient to meet the needs of some rapidly expanding industries. At my workplace, 70% of the technical staff are foreigners. We're not taking jobs away from Singaporeans, we're filling in the gaps!

Actually the 800,000 that the poster is referring to are the jobs that singaporeans won't do. It's not that they can't, it's that the jobs are outside, dirty, or demeaning in their eyes; shipyard workers, construction workers, sanitation personnel, grass cutters, the bulk of service industries and an extremely high percentage of factory workers. Singaporean workers are hampered by two things, one, their own pride and two, "singaporean bosses and company owners" who realize that they can get cheaper labour across the causeway and damn their own citizens.

What to do?

Postby Guest » Wed, 27 Jul 2005 9:38 pm

Starting Engineer pay (fresh grad):
Malaysia Degree = 2300
Singapore/UK degree = 2600

Sylvester

Postby Sylvester » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 2:42 am

Have u all planned for total unemployment after being retrenched?

It's good to be prepared that no 1 wants to employ you anymore.

Calculate how much u need to survive say for another 10yrs down the road, without a job.

Or, have to end up working as security guard.

Be prepared.

It will be good that you start part time business, till you doesn't need your job anymore.

Postby Guest » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 2:46 am

Remember this :

As long as u are a worker, u r just a Mr. Nobody, regardless of your income n education. If u want to be a Somebody, be the owner of the company.

Be humble and start planning for the days when u r totally unemployed.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 9:35 am

Anonymous wrote:Remember this :

As long as u are a worker, u r just a Mr. Nobody, regardless of your income n education. If u want to be a Somebody, be the owner of the company.

Be humble and start planning for the days when u r totally unemployed.

I agree with the above poster. Especially if you don't know how to write properly.

wing

Opinion

Postby wing » Wed, 17 Aug 2005 3:02 pm

Since fire is aware of the restricted job prospect in engineer field, it's never too late to change your career path. I was just a entry-level staff one year plus ago, getting $2,500 this year and will be getting at least $3,300 next year.
However, I know that the job can't help me to achieve my goal of enjoying life as I need a lot of money to do that. Therefore, I made my decision to have my own business, as such, I really see the change in my life and the direction is corrected.