Singapore Expats Forum

Engineers in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

fire

Engineers in Singapore

Postby fire » Sat, 09 Jul 2005 10:17 am

I worked in an MNC semicon manufacturing company for 5years. My basic salary is only S$3.2K. I worked 10hrs normal but most of the time tends to stretch up to 15hrs a day without overtime pay.

Can anyone tell me am I grossly under paid?

I have a 2nd upper Electronics&Electrical Degree. Being an engineer in Singapore don't seem to pay well; little increment; very high work load.

I have full of passion, energy and intelligent. Why I can't find a job that is rewarding?? I'm looking for at least S$6K per month. Can anyone here give me some advise??

Postby Guest » Sun, 10 Jul 2005 1:09 am

improve your english first before asking for high pay

guestlah

Postby guestlah » Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:33 pm

:lol:

guest: well, i guess you're right...

engineer: try to improve your english and grammar first. if you're not satisfied with your salary try to look for another company which can provide or give you what you expect....by the way, i think 6k is too much, i don't think a mnc will give you that, it's almost a manager's salary, unless you'll be applying for a managerial position, you can ask for a little higher than that. good luck.

fire

Postby fire » Wed, 13 Jul 2005 6:24 pm

Thks for the advance, I will try to improve. But I don’t think by improving my grammar will help in my work, bcos as an engineer, we don’t use our mouth to get work done like sales pp. I have let my skills to do the talking and have earned myself 2 promotions within 5years.
Perhaps I didn’t get my point clear from the beginning. I admit I have high expectation. In Engineering field, unless I’m in managerial position, else I couldn’t get $5-6K. But I often hear stories from fresh grad in other fields e.g banking only as admin drawing $4-5K basic. Or IT drawing $5K. The problem is we are all having the same Bachelor degree, only different fields, why is there such a big gap?
Anyone are welcome to share your stories.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Jul 2005 9:12 pm

fire wrote:The problem is we are all having the same Bachelor degree, only different fields, why is there such a big gap?

You have a degree and you need someone to tell you the answer to that? It's pretty obvious to me that your salary is too high!

Postby Guest » Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:14 am

I like to hear from engineers who are well paid. if any.

Don't be jealous

Postby Don't be jealous » Sat, 16 Jul 2005 5:57 am

fire wrote:But I often hear stories from fresh grad in other fields e.g banking only as admin drawing $4-5K basic. Or IT drawing $5K. The problem is we are all having the same Bachelor degree, only different fields, why is there such a big gap?

Don't be jealous, friend. If you are not satisfied with what you are getting now, resign (best answer) and find someone who could pay you more.

Perhpas, your degree is not really that demanding. Sorry friend but you still have time to switch to.

My 1 cent.

Postby Guest » Sun, 17 Jul 2005 5:51 pm

Any idea what position can I apply in banking industries? I possessed an Electronics & Electrical degree.

ibwo

Postby ibwo » Mon, 18 Jul 2005 4:08 pm

Engineering jobs tend to be underpaid especially in the semicon where the business / volume is not that good nowadays. There are EE graduates everywhere to the point where I think ME graduates are in better demand.
Last edited by ibwo on Sun, 11 Sep 2005 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Mon, 18 Jul 2005 9:42 pm

try networking..but there are many certified network engineers in sg..try that..may not be late for u

Postby Guest » Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:43 pm

I know nothing about networking. But i will try. Thks. Any other suggestions in banking line?

advice

Postby advice » Tue, 19 Jul 2005 5:21 pm

i have a bachelor's degree in civil engineering and had a 4000 job as a project engineer. today, i am getting paid 7500 excluding allowances.

if what you say about being intelligent and energetic is true, then try for a career change. thing is, whether you like it or not, an engineer will always be at the bottom of the corporate food chain; this is because many engineers don't like dealing with people, or to say the least, they don't think outside the box; they are perfectly content doing what they are TOLD to do!

my advise: improve your communication skills and try to take your engineering skills to a sales job. believe me, there are more opportunities in sales then there are in engineering. most important, differ yourself from the engineer stereotype!

guestme

expat salary

Postby guestme » Wed, 20 Jul 2005 5:54 pm

What is the normal salary for civil engineer in singapore for an expat .

where are the good areas to live ? especially as i have a little girl and would like to live near a park.

Also to the guy who believes engineers dont need good communication skills and only sales people do - sounds like the "old" image of an engineer. Communication is key to success regardless of the field you work in !

Vince

Remove your hidden Barrier

Postby Vince » Wed, 20 Jul 2005 6:10 pm

It is your past experience that bring you to where you are right now.
You got to invest in your personal development to move ahead.
There are hidden barriers within you that stop you from moving forward.
Get a mentor to clear all your obstacle....& you will soar...
Whether your English is good or not, whether you can speak well doesn't matter.
Most important, is your posture, the way you talk, your tone.....etc.
Not the words.
I just came back from USA with the world greatest trainer in helping people uncover their core desire & hidden barrier. If you are interested to know more about it, you can e-mail to me at hornsin@singnet.com.sg

Re: expat salary

Postby Guest » Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:01 am

guestme wrote:Also to the guy who believes engineers dont need good communication skills and only sales people do - sounds like the "old" image of an engineer. Communication is key to success regardless of the field you work in !

I must clarify. I didn't said engineers don't need communication skill. I communicate very well with everybody, I'm just poor in grammer. I agreed that Communication is key to success.