Singapore Expats Forum

Credit Card for Non-residents

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Credit Card for Non-residents

Postby Guest » Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:11 am

Hi,

Is there any bank here in Singapore that allows non-residents (with less than 50k annual salary) to apply for a VISA credit card?

Re: Credit Card for Non-residents

Postby Guest » Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:38 am

Anonymous wrote:Hi,

Is there any bank here in Singapore that allows non-residents (with less than 50k annual salary) to apply for a VISA credit card?

very unlikely- u dont work IN singapore? - prob not
if u have oodles of cash in the bank- then it doesnt matter if u dont work - but u will need to have an address to have a bank account-

u havent got other replies here so i guess not many of us know, have u called the banks?

maybe the smaller banks desperate for business might consider

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:52 am

You might try a non bank card such as Amex if your credit is good. Or, you could try for a card from your home country and pay the exchange rate. Most banks here want legal residence before issuing a card.

Re: Credit Card for Non-residents

Postby Guest » Fri, 08 Jul 2005 1:22 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Hi,

very unlikely- u dont work IN singapore? - prob not
if u have oodles of cash in the bank- then it doesnt matter if u dont work - but u will need to have an address to have a bank account-

u havent got other replies here so i guess not many of us know, have u called the banks?

maybe the smaller banks desperate for business might consider

I work here in Singapore. I also have a bank account (with a local bank here), however the bank requires non-Singaporeans or non-PRs to have an annual salary of $80k before we can apply for credit card.

resm
Regular
Regular

Credit Card

Postby resm » Sat, 09 Jul 2005 10:23 am

Do not bother about limits that are printed on their application form.

I got a OCBC Visa Card with a much lower declared income.

(I think I declared 3K/mth)
PROUT....the only way out !

mmcalif

Credit Card

Postby mmcalif » Sat, 16 Jul 2005 3:05 pm

If you look for Credit Card to spend online, we can offer a Virtual Credit Card.
Let me know at mmcalif@gmail.com

Regards

Oriental
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Oriental » Sat, 16 Jul 2005 6:33 pm

I think most banks in Singapore has an international office to cater for non-resident clients. I know for sure that HSBC and Citi Bank has one.

If you get in touch with their international offices they will be able to advice you.

I don’t know if your S$50K a year salary will be enough, but if you are able to top it with an initial deposit of an equal amount I think you should be able to get that “piece of plastic”
Impossible is nothing!