Singapore Expats Forum

Jobs and career for biotechnologists...?!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

BBC-boy

Jobs and career for biotechnologists...?!

Postby BBC-boy » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 2:14 am

Hi, Im a UK post-grad looking to broaden my horizons a bit. Have been considering a biotech/science- related job abroad for a long time now- all arrows seem to point to the Biopolis centre for this...
Any comments or info about this?
Anyone actually there?
cheers

toxictanktops

Postby toxictanktops » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:28 pm

Hi there...

I work at Biopolis. I'm a grad student at a research institute there. What would you like to know about it? I'll be glad to hlep you :)

BBC-boy

Postby BBC-boy » Thu, 07 Jul 2005 6:45 am

Um, anything and everything, if possible!
Most of the major companies/players etc. lifestyle, working ethics, social aspects, career development, the weather....... absolutely anything.....
... especially salaries- for typical graduates, post-grads, postdocs scientists, senior- all the different levels if possible.
And the Biolopis centre? Whats the likelihood of BBCs getting good job offers etc?

thanks so much

Postby Guest » Thu, 07 Jul 2005 11:37 pm

most likely u wont get the job in sg unless you are the super talented scientist who just got nobel prize for new bio-science discovery. The jobs are more likely to be given to locals first..u may try. no harm..just being realistic

toxictanktops

Postby toxictanktops » Sat, 09 Jul 2005 10:14 am

Actully guest, you are wrong.

Most insitutes in Singapore are not too keen on re-hiring their own graduates. You would have to work outside Singapore for a few years if you want to stand any chance of being hired for an academic position here. I am talking about principal investigator / professor type posts here. For a lab technologist, perhaps there is a preference for locals.

What kind of a job are you looking for? Research or Industry - based?

Hey why don't you pm me your email add, and I can mail you instead of replying on the forum.

want to know

Postby want to know » Sat, 09 Jul 2005 8:09 pm

Hi

I also need some guidance on the salaries and benefit for research scientist and principle research scientist at Biopolis. A lot of people here have a very good impression on Singapore and are very interested in getting a job in Singapore. Could you kindly drop me an email at FuZh@hotmail.co.uk.

Thanks

BBC-boy

Postby BBC-boy » Sun, 10 Jul 2005 1:50 am

Yes, Im aiming more the senior scientific positions.... I have PhD in science and a couple of years experience in Industry. Any salary indications for both industry and academia?
Cheers.

I have PM-ed you.......... (edit: actually I cant.... apparently, too few posts- anyway around this?)

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Postby stefania » Sun, 10 Jul 2005 5:00 pm

BBC-boy wrote:I have PM-ed you.......... (edit: actually I cant.... apparently, too few posts- anyway around this?)

You gotta have 10 posts before you're allowed the PM function, or so i think.

BBC-boy

Postby BBC-boy » Mon, 11 Jul 2005 7:26 pm