Singapore Expats Forum

Mediacorp

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Mrs D

Mediacorp

Postby Mrs D » Mon, 04 Jul 2005 5:57 am

has anyone had any experience working for mediacorp?
they seem to have many interesting vacancies on their website.
we're both news producers (one in tv, one in radio) looking to move back to asia.
we have both worked in beijing (for state media) are currently with the bbc in london.

any other places we should be checking out?

thanks

Flora

Re: Mediacorp

Postby Flora » Mon, 04 Jul 2005 3:21 pm

Mrs D wrote:has anyone had any experience working for mediacorp?
they seem to have many interesting vacancies on their website.
we're both news producers (one in tv, one in radio) looking to move back to asia.
we have both worked in beijing (for state media) are currently with the bbc in london.

any other places we should be checking out?

thanks

the link below has all or most of the relevant organisations..
if not do a search for what u are looking for.. eg."broadcasting,singapore", etc.. post here again if no luck ..

http://app.mica.gov.sg/internet/journal ... dguide.asp

Postby Guest » Mon, 04 Jul 2005 5:05 pm

I used to work there and it's a reasonably good company to work for except that the pay there is not as high as one would expect at all.

That's the biggest misconception about the place. That people all get paid *really* well just because they are employed in the country's monoploised media giant.

Mrs D

Postby Mrs D » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 9:44 am

Thanks for that information.
I'll have a good look around.

What sort of pay is "not that good"
I'm not after a super-duper ex-pat package, so I won't be disappointed!

Ernest Wong

Postby Ernest Wong » Thu, 07 Jul 2005 3:00 pm

I think you might be disappointed!

I've worked for Mediacorp. Their initial offer was laughable.

After a little renegotiation, I got them to increase the offer but it was still way below my expectations.

I took the job because I wanted to try something different and my old job was being kept open for me, so the financial shortcomings weren't that much of an issue.

You should also be aware of the frustrations of working in the Singapore media, assuming you come from a country with a 'free' press.

Finally, you should consider whether working in a newsroom which has its editorial direction 'guided' officially will stand you in good stead when it's time to move on.

Postby Guest » Fri, 08 Jul 2005 3:21 pm

Make sure that you know a lot about Singapore as well before you go for an interview. They will grill you on what you know and don't know about the country.

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”