Singapore Expats Forum

News about Singapore and India

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Ivy Ang

News about Singapore and India

Postby Ivy Ang » Sun, 03 Jul 2005 4:27 pm

Hi All,

Singapore and India signed on Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA) on 29 June 2005. In a landmark agreement on the movement of professionals , India and Singapore have agreed to ease visa restrictions for professionals in a wide range of areas including IT, medical/nursing and pharmacists, engineering across all streams, metallurgists, surveyors, botanists, zoologists, university lecturers, accountants, financial professionals and advertising executives etc .

As of now, the salary benchmark was a key criterion that had to be met for grant of visa for Singapore. Minimum salary requirements will no more prevent Indian professionals from obtaining visas to work in Singapore. A key provision has been included in the Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA) between Indian and Singapore, highly-placed diplomatic sources said.

The Singapore government’s norm is that professionals seeking visa should draw salaries equal to the prevailing pay packet in Singapore. A number of professionals were denied visas due to non-compliance with this norm.

Regards

Ivy Ang

yahu

Postby yahu » Sun, 03 Jul 2005 8:55 pm

That's interesting. But generally for readers, I think for more info you should go to their website and read it for yourself, and draw your own conclusions.

I must say that I have not read any of the documents myself, so I really dunno what this FTA is about.