Singapore Expats

Looking for good ISP. Possibly Cable high speed access.

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
YURI

Post by YURI » Fri, 01 Jul 2005 10:38 am

Hey all,

I am moving to Singapore soon. What are the options on ISP's? Can I get Cable internet access? And how much does it cost? And what company provides it? How about alternatives like DSL?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Yutenji » Fri, 01 Jul 2005 5:02 pm

Hi,
Below is the short reply, and if you look around this forum or check the websites of the companies I'll mention, you'll get more information than you could ever possibly digest! :lol:

Basically three companies:
- SingTel (the national telco)
- Starhub (also runs the cable TV service)
- Pacific Internet a.k.a PacNet (poor 3rd [watch the flames come in response to that comment])

Starhub offers cable internet at upto (a very significant word) 3Mbps download speed. Last time I heard SingTel's best offering is ADSL at 1.5Mbps. Prices for both are around S$70-80 /month, but can vary lots depending on special offers, whether you also have phone lines from them (SingTel & Starhub are both telco's too).
Sounds like a no-brainer right? Wrong. Starhub connections are shared amongst the local community, which is not usually a big number of people, but it is noticably slower at certain times of day. SingTel's ADSL is a dedicated connection, so it's only you on the line.

I use Starhub and am generally happy with it. You'll find just as many people loving/hating SingTel & Starhub. The 3 people still using PacNet live in a small tent near the airport and nobody talks to them anymore. (Yes, that last comment was a joke).

For example, check out this other thread ...

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ft ... highlight=

Good luck

RogOz

pacific internet worst provider

Post by RogOz » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 8:38 am

I totally agree with your statement about Pacific Internet.

I have been a pacnet user for several years, and found that it is impossible to get any good service from them. Billing mistakes occur quite frequently (see other postings), they are very fast with threatening legal action, and lack of response on any queries you might have.

I can recommend NOT to use pacific internet as your internet provider.

Cheers, Roger.

YURI

Post by YURI » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 9:34 am

I would like to thank you guys for your suggestions and comments. I greatly appreciate your help.