Singapore Expats Forum

expat possibility in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

guille

expat possibility in Singapore

Postby guille » Mon, 28 Jun 2004 6:14 pm

Hello
I'm going to move to Singapore with my company as expat for a period of 3 to 4 years.
My girlfriend is now working for a bank ( back office ) in the IT field and will leave her job to follow me there.
She would like to find another job in the same field in Singapore with another bank. As she is only consultant ( employed by a spanish small ITcompany ) here in France, she will have anyway to change of company and find a job locally in Singapore.
For what we have seen the level of salary in Singapore are very low ( around 3000 to 4000 SG ) if you are employed locally and if you are not expat.
What could be the best way for her to get a correct salary ? Is there some tricks you could give me to optimize this situation ?
Thanks a lot for any information that could help me. Bye

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Mon, 28 Jun 2004 8:32 pm

Before you worry about your friend's future salary being too low, you might want to worry about her being able to find a job at all... and remember that S$4000 in Singapore is a lot more than €2000 back home in France.

But anyway, to answer your question, banking for IT is a fairly specialized position, so you'll want to emphasize her experience in the field and language abilities, esp. if you can find a French/Swiss bank. Do note that this is already to some extent factored into the salary range you quote, an unexperienced English-and-Mandarin speaking off-the-shelf CS grad can be had for S$1500.

Speller

Tsk Tsk

Postby Speller » Mon, 28 Jun 2004 9:45 pm

After the shelling you gave the other day for wrong spelling, you should be more careful yourself. There is no such word as 'unexperienced', well at least not in English. I guess you would mean " inexperienced'

People who live in glass houses should be very careful in throwing stones and not :roll: sound so very condescending of those who don't make the cut.

Bafana

Re: Tsk Tsk

Postby Bafana » Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:56 pm

Speller wrote:After the shelling you gave the other day for wrong spelling, you should be more careful yourself. There is no such word as 'unexperienced', well at least not in English. I guess you would mean " inexperienced'

People who live in glass houses should be very careful in throwing stones and not :roll: sound so very condescending of those who don't make the cut.

I'll take that on advisement :wink:

jpatokal

Re: Tsk Tsk

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 29 Jun 2004 9:00 pm

Speller wrote:After the shelling you gave the other day for wrong spelling, you should be more careful yourself. There is no such word as 'unexperienced', well at least not in English. I guess you would mean " inexperienced'

Fair enough, Mr. Surreptitious Guest. Although the other day I wasn't shelling your spelling, I was shelling your argument... which, quite frankly, I still don't understand.

Now let's get back on topic, shall we? I've already added my 2 cents, now it's your turn.

Mistaken Identity

Re: Tsk Tsk Not What you think

Postby Mistaken Identity » Thu, 01 Jul 2004 3:36 pm

jpatokal wrote:

Fair enough, Mr. Surreptitious Guest. Although the other day I wasn't shelling your spelling, I was shelling your argument... which, quite frankly, I still don't understand.

Now let's get back on topic, shall we? I've already added my 2 cents, now it's your turn.

Trouble with people who react is that they think they are right most of the time if not all the time, Can you see the pattern? :roll:
No I am no more surreptitiious than you are. Just can See you carrying on in your high and mighty ways when all you are standing is no more than a mole hill. D :!: epressing thought isn't it?

jpatokal

Re: Tsk Tsk Not What you think

Postby jpatokal » Fri, 02 Jul 2004 11:48 pm

Trouble with people who react is that they think they are right most of the time if not all the time, Can you see the pattern? :roll:
No I am no more surreptitiious than you are. Just can See you carrying on in your high and mighty ways when all you are standing is no more than a mole hill. D :!: epressing thought isn't it?

Wah lao. It's a website and somebody said something nasty about your spelling. Get over it. :roll:

Bubbles

Ex-pat opportunity in Singapore

Postby Bubbles » Wed, 07 Jul 2004 12:34 am

Well now, if we're going to nitpick about correct English usage...surreptitious is a word which should be applied to an action and not to a person............being an adjective and a 'doing' word as opposed a noun............
lololol......................

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Thu, 08 Jul 2004 6:14 pm

Hi Bubbles

You should register as you are a good member of the board...

BTW my spelling is OK, my typing is loosey though... :wink: