Singapore Expats Forum

Especially for you Regulars and Chatters..

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 29 Jun 2005 1:20 pm

whatalark wrote:uh huh. there it is again... W-A-N-N-A . Not 'want to". W-A-N-N-A. W A N N A, W A N N A, W A N N A!

An attempt was made at one time to use the naughty word blocker to slow up the singlish and sms'ese that infects this board. Nice try but it just did not work. Apparently, not all of the words were removed.

Anything also can, ok lah?

whatalark
Regular
Regular

sms-ese

Postby whatalark » Wed, 29 Jun 2005 1:38 pm

Ya, ok, SE. But, w-a-n-n-a existed in Archie comics and Superman comics and Spiderman comics circa 1980 and before. Pre-dating SMS and the whole Singlish issue.

Adds flavour to the language, adds tone, adds atmosphere, adds irritation to the diehard language purists who live to attack folks like me who enjoy colloquial and quaint utterances.

Miss my Archie comics....
no trees were hurt in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 29 Jun 2005 2:29 pm

Like I said, it was not a successful attempt. Maybe you could spell it WANNNA.

cinder
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cinder » Wed, 29 Jun 2005 9:44 pm

sapphire wrote:cinder, the mods shift certain posts to the relevant sections. i have said this many times before, the mods here are very fair, and almost never delete any post unless its truly inflammatory.

one way of keeping track of your posts is by hitting the 'View your posts' button on top. hope this helps...

Thanks for your info. I had believed that moderators here were very fair - me myself is veteran from The Other Site because of fairness issue. Was thought otherwise after my experience - but now I think it was indeed just a system error. Praise SE for his patience having explained to me both on the forum and PM.
Last edited by cinder on Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinder
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cinder » Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:19 pm

I do think bias and prejudice are always exist in every creature - no matter how little they are. I suppose it is a nature of living thing with brain, which sometimes makes me wonder why whoever it is created us, if any, put such thing on our minds. Maybe it is about 'generalisation' back on our brain that is needed for us to react to things around us?

However, I also think that civilisation is old enough to know that bias and prejudice lead to something ranged from silly thing to disaster. Therefore, as with anything in this world: if you can not delete a problem, let's minimise it.

Open our minds and minimise our bias and prejudice levels. Gay is not a thing to be shunned. It is one of many variables on human being. As with people who changed their gender. Or nudist. Or people with certain believe. Or anything else considered 'less common' than 'common' ones.

As for this forum, Eric's post explains it all.

Thanks for all positive feedbacks. As for negative ones.. well, tough sh*t, that's your bl@@dy rights! :lol:

dont wan-na

Re: sms-ese

Postby dont wan-na » Sat, 02 Jul 2005 6:27 pm

whatalark wrote:Ya, ok, SE. But, w-a-n-n-a existed in Archie comics and Superman comics and Spiderman comics circa 1980 and before. Pre-dating SMS and the whole Singlish issue.

Adds flavour to the language, adds tone, adds atmosphere, adds irritation to the diehard language purists who live to attack folks like me who enjoy colloquial and quaint utterances.

Miss my Archie comics....

Okay, I'm just gonna test it out for myself. Don't know if you guys (girls) are joking or serious.

Pre-test: w-a-n-n-a, w-a-n-n-a, w-a-n-n-a, ...

Real test: wanna, wanna, wanna, ...

Post-note: Oh God! It's magic!

whatalark
Regular
Regular

chuckle

Postby whatalark » Sun, 03 Jul 2005 12:21 am

gotta give a chuckle I'm so tickled by this board.
no trees were hurt in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced