Dependant pass?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.
dwain

Dependant pass?

Post by dwain » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 8:57 pm

Hi,
My wife completing her degree this year at NUS and then will haveto work for 3 years (government bond). She will is planning to apply for PR. If PR successful, will I be able to enter Singapore under Dependant pass (Please note that I only have "A-level" and 2 years working exp) and then look for a job in Singapore?
Thanks

PhantomX

Post by PhantomX » Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:04 am

not much chance of a job i m afraid :!:
X

Post by Guest » Wed, 29 Jun 2005 8:12 am

You are getting confused about the type of pass available. Dependent Pass is only for spouse of Employment Pass holder, not for spouse of PR holder. If your wife becomes PR, she may be able to sponsor you to live here on Long Term Social Visit Pass (does not allow you to work) or for PR. There are lots of conditions for these passes and you need to study the options on the ICA and MOM websites. (ica.gov.sg and mom.gov.sg)

Dwain

Post by Dwain » Wed, 29 Jun 2005 7:43 pm

well, if i can get a job will the Employment pass be just formalities? Or all this will still depend on qualification etc...

possible

Post by Guest » Thu, 30 Jun 2005 2:34 am

If it's your wife, it is possible that she sponsors you. But, you might not be able to work.. unless you apply for work permit. You will need to find a job though and a company that can sponsor your work permit. Everything is possible. Don't worry.

Good luck!!

Fursa

Post by Fursa » Mon, 17 Oct 2005 4:00 pm

I' ve applied for a DP recently. Does it really takes the whole 3 weeks for processing? Such a long waiting... :(

coarls

Post by coarls » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 4:15 pm

Dwain wrote:well, if i can get a job will the Employment pass be just formalities? Or all this will still depend on qualification etc...
The Employment Pass (EP) is not a formality...it's a requirement...even if the employer has already hired you and you failed the requirements from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) for the EP you will still not be able to work. Also, you cannot apply for an EP yourself, the employer/company will be the one to do the application as they will be the one's to sponsor you...

And yes, it will depend all on your qualification as this is required when you submit them for the application of EP... :D
Ad astra per aspera...

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Thu, 20 Oct 2005 8:43 am

Anonymous wrote:You are getting confused about the type of pass available. Dependent Pass is only for spouse of Employment Pass holder, not for spouse of PR holder. If your wife becomes PR, she may be able to sponsor you to live here on Long Term Social Visit Pass (does not allow you to work) or for PR. There are lots of conditions for these passes and you need to study the options on the ICA and MOM websites. (ica.gov.sg and mom.gov.sg)
This is not correct. It is possible to have a spouse and children under a DP while one person is PR. People are currently doing this to avoid NS for their sons, while at the same time allowing them to be enrolled in schools here. You can work on a DP (part time and full time) and you just need your employer to fill out a Letter of Consent to work (LOC). This is a simple process that takes about two weeks. Our application for DP's took about 4-5 weeks if I remember correctly.