Singapore Expats Forum

cold weather clobber

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Wimbledon Guy

cold weather clobber

Postby Wimbledon Guy » Sun, 26 Jun 2005 3:03 pm

Does anybody know of any good places in Singapore to buy clothing for very cold conditions e.g. Mongolia/Moscow in December?

Thanks,
Alex

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Kimi » Sun, 26 Jun 2005 3:11 pm

When I was in Canada in March I bought Micheline type (bubbly type, if that's the right word...) of coat from Jeans Mate. Not sure if there is Jeans Mate here though.
The weather at that time was -12 degrees Celcius during the day which was quite cold enuff for me, but then again Mongolia might be colder...

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sun, 26 Jun 2005 4:51 pm

Does Robinsons exist anymore? They used to do ski stuff and cold weather gear. What about Marks and Spencers? They have to have that kind of thing?
Why not put a postcard up in a shopping mall, say HVillage, and ask if anyone's selling their stuff......ok, second hand is not to everyone's taste but could be a lot cheaper than new, esp if you won't use it again at home.

Alternatives....buy there....or start knitting....haha.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Sun, 26 Jun 2005 6:23 pm

Hi Wimbeldon,

I have had to deal with this problem many times. Here are the local resources I have had some luck with:

Yes Robinsons has a small winter section, even smaller now that its summer I'm afraid. Not great but worth a try.

Export Fashions (HV, Tanglin Mall, etc...) may have a few pieces as well as the place around the corner at Holland Village near Coffee Bean and Sasa. I got a J Crew down vest there the day before a surprise trip to the Blue Mountains. Look in the back of the store.

Winter Wear at Plaza Singpura (also at the same mall as Fugi Ice Palace, but not really worth the trip).

Better still, if you have the time for shipping:

www.landsend.com

www.llbean.com

Both deliver to Singapore, both have a good selection of cold weather items all year.

Remember -- it's all about layering...

:)