Singapore Expats

Help getting employed in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Craig

Help getting employed in Singapore

Post by Craig » Sat, 25 Jun 2005 11:54 pm

Hello, I am 35 y/o American who will be relocating to Singapore at then end of the year because my fiance' is from there. I have been searching jobs in Singapore on various job sites but most say for Singaporeans or PR's only. I have a Bachelors degree in Accounting and a Masters degree in Accounting and Management however, I can't seem to make any headway.
I would appreciate any information on how to go about getting employed in Singapore. Thank you.
Craig Mathison
Master of Accounting & Management
Iowa State Univeristy
Ames, IA. 50011
USA

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Help getting employed in Singapore

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 Jun 2005 1:59 am

Craig wrote:Hello, I am 35 y/o American who will be relocating to Singapore at then end of the year because my fiance' is from there. I have been searching jobs in Singapore on various job sites but most say for Singaporeans or PR's only. I have a Bachelors degree in Accounting and a Masters degree in Accounting and Management however, I can't seem to make any headway.
I would appreciate any information on how to go about getting employed in Singapore. Thank you.
Hi Craig,

I would suggest that you try the "so-called" big 5 here in Singapore, Delitouche (sp?), Anderson, etc, etc. You may also want to try some of the major US MNC's here as I would assume with the debacles of Enron, et al the past couple of years, that along with your Masters and you would be right on top of Sarbanes-Oxley. I saw a few companies recently advertising in the Straits Times Appointment section of the local paper looking for accountants with Sarbox expertise.

You may also want to try www.jobsdb.com.sg or www.jobstreet.com.sg
but I don't think you will find anything of your calibre there but it wouldn't hurt.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sparky11

Post by sparky11 » Mon, 27 Jun 2005 7:13 pm

Hey Craig

Any chance you hold professional certification with one of the accounting bodies? I think that makes a big difference.

Anyhows, you should try registering/getting in contact with some of the recruiters like Robert Walters and Michael Page. They'll be able to give you an idea whether you have the requisite skills for positions here.

From my experience, I found I had more luck going through the agents then applying myself. Keep at it. It may take longer than expected but the wait will be worth it. All the best.

Priscilla

Post by Priscilla » Tue, 05 Jul 2005 1:25 pm

sparky11 wrote:Hey Craig

Any chance you hold professional certification with one of the accounting bodies? I think that makes a big difference.

Anyhows, you should try registering/getting in contact with some of the recruiters like Robert Walters and Michael Page. They'll be able to give you an idea whether you have the requisite skills for positions here.

From my experience, I found I had more luck going through the agents then applying myself. Keep at it. It may take longer than expected but the wait will be worth it. All the best.
Can u pls name some agents? thanks

jhkim
Regular
Regular

Post by jhkim » Tue, 05 Jul 2005 9:57 pm

WOW...I am sure that you love your fiance but this is going to be a bad bad move. If you come here and then look for a job, most likely you will be getting a local package. Someone with similar educational background and experience as you makes SGD 5,000 to 6,000/ month(Slightly over 3,000 USD).

Most companies knowing that you came here on your accord will try to pay you close to the local package as much as possible.

Actually SGD 5,000 to 6,000 plus your wife income will give you pretty comfortable life, but not as much as you would in the US.

If you marry her in US, she will get Greencard and she can work right away.

Another Alternative is to take your time and search monster and jobsdb.com for a job that will send you to Singapore.

Good luck man....So many people wants to live in US, I don't know whats with you guys.

abbey

reliable and result oriented recruitment agencies

Post by abbey » Sun, 10 Jul 2005 11:19 pm

Anyone who's got a job through recruitment agency in SG? Pls share.

Post by Guest » Wed, 13 Jul 2005 4:03 am

> Good luck man....So many people wants to live in US, I don't know whats with you guys.

One word SCHOOLS! Schools in US stink (exception university).

Post by Guest » Wed, 13 Jul 2005 4:28 pm

Try contacting American companies with offices in Singapore in the US FIRST. That way you may be able to get an expat package.