Singapore Expats Forum

Help requested from the UK please

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

jacksprat

Help requested from the UK please

Postby jacksprat » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:04 pm

Hi,

Is there anyone who can advise us? We are not expats but I was born in Singapore and have returned many times. On a trip in November 2003 we ordered some furniture from a vendor. It took a huge amount of effort and time in telephone calls etc but we did eventually receive our furniture - damaged. The carrier refused to accept responsibility as the vendor had taken out inadequate insurance. We managed to repair one of the pieces but the others needed replacement - one of which was not sent to the correct specifications in the first place. The vendor eventually agreed to redo this and send it to us again - we have this in an email. However, since then (now 6 months ago) we have been unable to contact him as he refuses to answer our calls or emails. Has anyone got any advice on what we do in this situation? Many thanks for your help. :(

Bubbs

Postby Bubbs » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 1:15 am

Jack, I'm in the UK, but am a little confused by your post. Do you have a problem with a UK supplier or a Singaporean one?

Postby Guest » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 4:44 am

Sorry - should have been clear. We are in the UK but our vendor is in Singapore - and so are our goods!

Honestly...

Postby Honestly... » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 1:07 pm

...there is probably little you can do. Presumably, you've already paid him. You do not represent a lot of business for him. So, you've got little leverage over him. International business on an individual consumer level often goes wrong.

Bubbs

Postby Bubbs » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 5:37 pm

Is there no way one of you in Singapore could help this guy out? Surely if he gave you the address of the shop a few of you could go in, one by one, and say you know this couple as friends and what are they going to do about it?

At least it would annoy the supplier if nothing else.

CASE

Postby CASE » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:26 pm

Write to CASE . They might be able to help you. You can try to email to the head of CASE. I think he should be able to do something.

Best wishes and good luck

Postby Guest » Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:45 pm

CASE wrote:Write to CASE . They might be able to help you. You can try to email to the head of CASE. I think he should be able to do something.

CASE would only deal with small claims upto $500 and there are no guarantees.

CASE wrote:Write to CASE . They might be able to help you. You can try to email to the head of CASE. I think he should be able to do something.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sun, 26 Jun 2005 5:01 pm

I still think it's a good idea if someone were to go into the actual shop in Singapore, just to say, 'Oh yes, my good friend ..... sent me, and is wondering what's the latest with this problem of his?'

I think it would shake them up to realise the problem is on their doorstep and not across the world.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.