Singapore Expats Forum

How do you celebrate your b'day or you don't?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

How do you celebrate your b'day or you don't?

Postby Kimi » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 7:43 pm

A freunde I was talking to about the bbq told me that she recently just celebrates her b'day alone and sort of having a countdown and tries to reflect what she had been doing with her life on the previous age. She wouldn't tell people around her when her b'day is even in order to have the solitude moment.

A member here told me he would get pissed till he drops in a way...with other people I suppose.

I've been celebrating with heaps of friends when I was in Japan most of the time, and that's because I see it as a chance to get together with them and not really to celebrate my getting older I must admit.
It makes me in a way glad to see people I know can connect to one another as well.
I sort of like the idea to reflect what my life has been and might do that from next year forward however...

Do you celebrate your b'day and how or don't you and why?

Baccaratia

Postby Baccaratia » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:32 pm

Interesting Qns. Well, I guess it depends on which phase of your life you are going thru, and of course, personality & social factors. At least for myself, when I was in my teens, I look forward having a good time with friends. Now, I am in my mid twenties, my friends & I will want to 'forget' about it. I guess it is pretty normal for girls. But hey, I may be wrong.

sloth_lady

Postby sloth_lady » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 2:54 am

.. i stopped celebrating birthdays after my dad passed away..

Postby Guest » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 6:59 am

sloth_lady wrote:.. i stopped celebrating birthdays after my dad passed away..

Gosh. Any particular reason (dare I ask)?

I'm also not too hot on my birthday. In fact this year I've booked a flight back to Singapore from Europe on my birthday so I don't have to go through the routine of fielding all these birthday wishes, feeling melancholic, brrrrrr.

I like the day after my birthday, coz that means another 360+ days till my next one. :roll:

Christmas, Auld Lang Syne, birthday, all milestones, I'm not very keen on them. To me they're just a reminder that yet another year has passed.

Nowadays time is just going too freaking freaking fast!

Wayves

Postby Wayves » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 8:03 am

Hi Kimi! :D

Birthdays are like New Years to me. A time to reflect a bit, and a time to celebrate. Hopefully the past year leaves you some great memories, and the next year will bring you even more. It's just a point in time, especially as you get older, but it's always YOUR point in time. Enjoy that aspect of it, and you will have a good one. :)

kansah
Regular
Regular

Postby kansah » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 8:17 am

Baccaratia wrote:Interesting Qns. Well, I guess it depends on which phase of your life you are going thru, and of course, personality & social factors. At least for myself, when I was in my teens, I look forward having a good time with friends. Now, I am in my mid twenties, my friends & I will want to 'forget' about it. I guess it is pretty normal for girls. But hey, I may be wrong.

Yep, seems the norm to me too.

My family and friends celebrate it for me, but I'm never in a festive mood. I'd rather get over the day and forget the whole thing. I hate that I'm older. Oh, to be eighteen again!!! 8)
Think of the solution; not the problem.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:54 am

Kimi, just shoosh and celebrate your birthday tomorrow, promise we'll keep u smiling :D

belated happy birthday!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

sth

Postby sth » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 1:35 pm

My two cents:

I recently heard of a friend of a friend who became seriously ill and required a bone marrow transplant. The operation was successful and he now treats the date of his operation as his birthday, rather than his actual birthday. That's pretty cool.

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Alfalfa » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 1:41 pm

I missed my birthday celebrations with friends since.....(long story)...
So if I were u and there are lots of nice people out there who wants to celebrate it with you..please please do .... you'll not regret it and besides it wil be a good moment to remember..

So HAPPY B"DAY!
We'll get along fine as soon as you realize I'm Good.

Jun
Editor
Editor

Postby Jun » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 1:54 pm

I remembered that i celebrated my birthday every year...in one way or another...

sometimes huge party...sometimes just quite dinner with some close friends or with my family...sometimes just indulge myself.....sometimes all of that...each time the celebration make me more sober...that i am a year older....and well, i'll just enjoy my day.....my birthday will be the only day that i dare to spoiled myself without a limit :p

cheers
J

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 2:28 pm

sth wrote:My two cents:

I recently heard of a friend of a friend who became seriously ill and required a bone marrow transplant. The operation was successful and he now treats the date of his operation as his birthday, rather than his actual birthday. That's pretty cool.

Agree: that's very cool.

Baccaratia

Postby Baccaratia » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:12 pm

Oh yeah, 18 will be cool. 21 will be awesome too, no wrinkles, be a bummer.