Singapore Expats Forum

EP with no education

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

LiDe

EP with no education

Postby LiDe » Fri, 25 Jun 2004 6:26 am

I am coming to Spore to study at Uni and my husbans wants to find work here. However he only have sec 2 education. He has however been working as a Mechanic for the last 11 years (stared when he was 16). He is also from Burma ( am Norwegian). We have been Living in Norway for the last 3 years.

Can anyone help me out?

LeDi

Postby LeDi » Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:00 pm

Why does no one reply?

Any thought would be welcome.

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Postby jpatokal » Sun, 27 Jun 2004 2:35 pm

Sounds fairly difficult to me, SIR is well known for liking higher education and higher-paying jobs... and to get an EP in the first place, you'll need to have a firm job offer, which you are unlikely to get in advance for a vocational job like a mechanic.

If your husband is a Burmese citizen, he will need to apply in advance even for a tourist visa and provide proof of onward transportation. This means that the usual option of coming into the country and hopping to JB and back for visa renewals until you have a job lined up is effectively impossible.

All in all, since your husband obviously has a foot in the door in Norway already, I'd have to advise him to stay there at least long enough to get Norwegian citizenship. Once he has that, the world is your oyster.

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Postby jpatokal » Sun, 27 Jun 2004 3:02 pm

That said, your hubby can probably come visit you as a tourist, and given the circumstances might get a visa for more than the standard 14 days... and if he spends the 14-30 days pounding the pavement, he just might be able to find a local job and thus apply for an EP. That's still a lot of ifs, mights and probablys though...

ly

Study in Singapore Uni

Postby ly » Mon, 28 Jun 2004 2:14 am

Seek more information about immigration from the Singapore Embassy in Norway and do a research to see what category of people Singapore is seeking in terms of labour shortage.

Why are you accepted in Singapore Uni and not elswhere? Are you sponsored by your company and what conditions and terms did your sponsor provide you with if you are in Singapore for a number of years

cinder
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun, 25 Jul 2004

Postby cinder » Sun, 25 Jul 2004 2:45 pm

To OP..

have you heard bout the new employment pass called S pass?
have a look at MOM wesbite or this link.. http://www.mom.gov.sg/MOM/CDA/0,1858,21 ... --,00.html

i think your husband might be qualified for that..
however, i dont have clues bout how to find a job..

anyway, good luck.. and hope this help since i notice that you posted quite long time ago.. im a new comer here..

staticrealm
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri, 24 Nov 2006

Postby staticrealm » Wed, 29 Nov 2006 4:09 pm

For S pass, ur husband should atleast have a diploma or a degree. They say its a requirement from the MoM.

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 29 Nov 2006 6:30 pm

staticrealm wrote:For S pass, ur husband should atleast have a diploma or a degree. They say its a requirement from the MoM.

No, you're wrong. The S pass is specifically meant for people without tertiary degrees.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... _pass.html

Qualification - generally refer to degree or diploma level educational qualifications. Technical qualifications can be considered and are, very broadly, courses that train the applicant to be a qualified technician or specialist in their chosen field. This should be obtained after at least 1 year of full-time study.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Nov 2006 7:07 pm

jpatokal wrote:
staticrealm wrote:For S pass, ur husband should atleast have a diploma or a degree. They say its a requirement from the MoM.

No, you're wrong. The S pass is specifically meant for people without tertiary degrees.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... _pass.html

Qualification - generally refer to degree or diploma level educational qualifications. Technical qualifications can be considered and are, very broadly, courses that train the applicant to be a qualified technician or specialist in their chosen field. This should be obtained after at least 1 year of full-time study.


JP, I believe you are reading it out of context (your italics taken from the Eligibility Clause on the MOM site) text. They DO require a degree or diploma along with experience and other criteria using a point spread. They WILL, however CONSIDER Technical qualifications in specialist positions. I know, I've hired 12 Myanmar Degreed Engineers on "S" passes in the past 3 months. As well as one PRC with a Masters, 2 Indonesians all with degrees.

sms

staticrealm
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri, 24 Nov 2006

Postby staticrealm » Fri, 01 Dec 2006 1:04 am

I agree @ sundaymorning.. JP is misunderstanding what he's quoting.

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Postby jpatokal » Sat, 02 Dec 2006 8:48 pm

staticrealm wrote:I agree @ sundaymorning.. JP is misunderstanding what he's quoting.

I think I'm reading the quote correctly, but my original assumption was incorrect. So no, the S Pass is not "specifically meant" for people without degrees, but it is possible to get an S Pass even without a university degree/diploma.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Dec 2006 12:06 am

jpatokal wrote:
staticrealm wrote:I agree @ sundaymorning.. JP is misunderstanding what he's quoting.

I think I'm reading the quote correctly, but my original assumption was incorrect. So no, the S Pass is not "specifically meant" for people without degrees, but it is possible to get an S Pass even without a university degree/diploma.


Hey JP, it hard isn't it! :lol: I'll accept that as it just paraphrases what I wrote. :P


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests