Singapore Expats Forum

How religious is singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

YF

How religious is singapore?

Postby YF » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 3:27 am

I am wondering how religious Singapore is. I am from Canada and I notice the US is much more religious than us--I find it quite mind numbing--god this, and god that. Generally I stay away from the bible thumpers.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 8:20 am

There is a definite distinction between religion and state here and rightly so. With different religious beliefs and races to contend with, it would be grounds for a disaster of sorts, say if MM Lee were to give a speech in which he only thanked the Lord Jesus Christ for bestowing his blessings on Singapore. :wink:

I'm with you in that I have an aversion to religious fervour in politics. George Dubya definitely comes to mind here and thank the Lord :roll: you don't have to contend with a list of religious channels showcasing evangelism in Singapore. Have you also noticed that the poorer a country, the higher the religious fervour with the exception of the US of course. Can't figure this one out.

As an aside, I have nothing against religion, religious people or God as I believe in God but I definitely have issues with people shoving their religion or their "holy" message in my face at every opportunity and a certain over zeaolus 'Honey Girl' comes to mind as an example. You'll find her if you haven't already as she's in just about every forum here and hardly subtle. Another born again bible thumper, perhaps?

P.S. Where in Canada do you hail from?

om mi tor for

Postby om mi tor for » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 9:51 am

People in Singapore are very religious indeed . . .

You wouldn't believe how people here

*religiously go shopping or hang out in shopping malls

*religiously pig out - there are hawker centres, food courts, coffee shops, cafes, restaurants, every where you look

*religiously go to the movies . . .
every weekend

And some of them even go to church or Buddhist/Taoist/Hindu temple on Sundays, or the mosque on Fridays . . .

God bless our souls
:lol:

whatalark
Regular
Regular

how religious is singapore

Postby whatalark » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:51 am

I get the impression people here are more superstitious than religious. Like, they think that religion is here to serve them, rather than themselves adhering to a certain set of beliefs or principles that are bigger and higher than they.

Not to say that in their heart-of-hearts they don't suspect that there MIGHT be something called TRUTH that they cannot sway and might, ultimately, have the final say.

Thus, although prostitution and gambling and lying, etc are not condoned by most religions, there is a tolerance and turning a blind eye to these activities and a cavalier pseudo-sophistication that is assumed when one participates in this stuff. I've been amazed, since I first landed on these shores, at the amount of self-delusion and emotional instability and low self-esteem I've encountered in so many of my local acquaintances and friends. (You won't believe how many people I know who have attempted suicide, had nervous breakdowns, succeeded at suicide, cant' hold down a job even tho their have their Bachelor's degree, etc.) Compromising on one's belief systems takes it out on the human psyche real bad, ya. (Applies to all societies, not just Singapore's)

So, I find that lip-service is paid to all that is good and true, high and noble, strong and pure but, the hard task of self-control and self-discipline that is essential when one subscribes to a faith is pooh-poohed or, guiltily shoved under the carpet. I haven't found too many, anywhere in the world, who have come to such terms with their faith, that they actually are prepared to suffer personal discomfort to "practice what they preach".

Guess Singapore isn't much different from the rest of the world.

Hoo, all this thinking and posting before my morning coffee. Think I'm rambling. Think I'm getting addicted to these Forums. Gotta get going. Duty calls.
no trees were hurt in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced

YF

Postby YF » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:52 am

I'm from Calgary.

I have been so submerged in evangelical christianity in the US that I have been put off by it all together. Especially the mixing of church and state in recent years: gay marrage, intelligent design, abortion, and stem cell research, it is hard not to escape the moral dogma of christianity.

I used to say I was an agnostic, but now I have to say I am an atheiest.

YF

Postby Guest » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:39 am

I believe in UFO and aliens, too bad no any organization here in SG

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:51 am

Hey YF... ya mean this kind of stuff gets to you? Me, too!!

YF

Postby YF » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 1:17 am

Strong Eagle.

That is EXACTLY what I mean. Great cartoon.

Postby Guest » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:46 am

YF, do you rely your faith on God or humans? How little faith you have.

YF

Postby YF » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:25 pm

Why should I put faith in god? Itsn't he supposed to be leaving this all up to us anyways? Itsn't that the whole 'free will thing'?

Oh, and might I add, that was aweful nice of him to create humanity with the good intention of sending the vast majority of them to hell. You think he would have made a few more prototypes and worked out some of the bugs first. Or, maybe we are looking for "sky hooks". I mean come on, would you believe there was a god if someone didn't spread the good word? Do you think its coincidental that specific religious beliefs are tied to culture?

Yes, I have more faith in humanity than god. Unfortunetly, I have little faith humanity that believes in god; they are often responsble for much of the inhumanity in the world.

YF

Tiny Tim

Postby Tiny Tim » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 1:03 pm

Many Singaporeans are what they call "free thinkers" - this more or less means agnostic or maybe atheist, just basically irreligious.

There are lots of Christians of various denominations here, and they can be VERY preachy. I'm American and have never been overtly solicited by religious types as much as I have here. Most Christians are Chinese, although some Indians are Catholics.

The Moslems are usually not as hardcore as the ones in the Middle East, but the mosques are full on Fridays.

Postby Guest » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 2:03 pm

Yean, many christians here like to approach people and try to preach their religion to others. Some of them are over zealous!

Some christians are strictly devoted to their religion. They regard other's belief as the devil's religion. They are so certain in their own belief that they will ask you to accept their religion if you do not want to be condemned to hell after death. Some practise some kind of hierarchy model in which the higher rank will have power over lower rank. They dictate the junior members' social lives. In fact, that is an infringement on a person's social life.

They don't eat food that has been offered to the family's ancestors or chinese deities(considered devils). They certainly believe that non-believers of God will go to hell after death!

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 2:07 pm

YF, u echoed my sentiments. agree with u wholeheartedly, especially, the last two lines. they hit the nail on the head!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Postby Guest » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 2:42 pm

I am not sure if this apply to all churches, some churches will like their members to donate 10 percent of their monthly income to them. The amount is to be put in an envelop with the person's name written on it. So, at the end of the month, those who have not given enough or not given at all, will be recognised. The people on higher orders of the church will start forming unfavourable thoughts about those who have not given enough. Instead of having a pure & non-discriminating heart towards others, they are doing just the opposite. Do anyone has any view on this?

sene
Regular
Regular

Buddhists

Postby sene » Mon, 27 Jun 2005 5:03 pm

The fastest growing religion in Singapore is supposed to be Buddhism.

It also makes up the largest religious group here ..some 35% of the population and about 70% of the Chinese population. But, the Buddhists are not the preachy type .. so you get the impression that Singapore is a majority Christian country ... because you get quite a lot of 'preachy fundamentalist' Christians here.

Christians also seem to be well represented in the upper strata of the socio-economic groups here.