Singapore Expats Forum

INTESOL Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Pls advice!!

INTESOL Singapore

Postby Pls advice!! » Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:52 pm

I'm interested in teaching english and have been thinking to get the INTESOL certification.

I would really appreciate if you can share your experience here. It'll help me to make up my mind.

Please let me know the good and bad points.

Thanks

um...

Postby um... » Wed, 22 Jun 2005 1:35 pm

Are you a native English speaker - no offence, but it doesn't seem like it from your post. That is more important than a certificate, and without being a native speaker you will have trouble getting work teaching English. Honestly, I wouldn't waste the money otherwise.

anti-um

Postby anti-um » Wed, 22 Jun 2005 1:47 pm

This msg is mean. Does Singaporeans always like to behave as though they know alot and that they are the greatest? No offence since i am a Singaporean myself. But sometimes I'm amazed by how people react. Perhaps you should learn to be more humble.. the more you learn, the more you'll realise that the knowledge you have is limited. It really doesn't matter how bad someone's english is, all s/he needs is some advice on wheather or not the certification is going to help. If you are not able to give such advice.. then shut up. Don't have to be so sacarstic.

Pls advice!!

INTESOL?

Postby Pls advice!! » Wed, 22 Jun 2005 3:48 pm

Thanks for supporting me anti-um. :D :D

um...

Postby um... » Wed, 22 Jun 2005 9:08 pm

I'm not Singaporean. :roll:

I am trying to give constructive advice. It is not worth your money. I have a friend who has Masters in Tesol and speaks perfect English, but not as a native speaker. She has had real trouble getting work. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are planning to teach English as a Second langauge you need to speak it as a first langauge.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 22 Jun 2005 9:55 pm

um... wrote:I'm not Singaporean. :roll:

I am trying to give constructive advice. It is not worth your money. I have a friend who has Masters in Tesol and speaks perfect English, but not as a native speaker. She has had real trouble getting work. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are planning to teach English as a Second langauge you need to speak it as a first langauge.

well I think I can agree with you here, I found the problem also exsists in Taiwan, If you are not a native speaker, your chances are reduced by 99% I would say.

I think it is wrong, many foreigners speak better English than native speakers, and are also much better at grammar, than native speakers.
Any experience would help of course, along with a recommendation. But to invest in a certificate! I would think twice.

How confident are you of succeeding, that is aslo the question you should ask yourself. Strengths & weaknesses must be looked at.

yuks
Regular
Regular

Postby yuks » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 2:44 pm

Not by birth, but I'm pretty much of a native speaker, got my TESOL certificate as part as my uni degree and have found it very easy to find English teaching jobs. I think it depends on which country you are from as well but I've found being able to teach English in another language, say your mother tongue, to be quite a big asset. Having the certificate will increase your chances of emplyoment and also make a difference in the salary.

Boston academy and the British Council are the only two places I know of that offer TESOL courses in Singapore. Good luck!

um...

Postby um... » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 4:11 pm

Like I said, it's possible to get work, but ten bucks says that employers and students will prefer to hire a native English speaker, certainly in many other countries where English is not spoken, this is the case. And even if you do get work, you will not get as good pay or benefits as a native speaker. It is possible, as I said before, but the odds are stacked against you, that's all... and you will need to have perfect English!

YTZ

Stay away from The TESOL Training Centre!

Postby YTZ » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 4:28 pm

i used to study in The TESOL Training centre but quit after 2 weeks with them....basically this school is a very small set up with one man and one lady (suspect they are husband and wife) running the whole show, they know nothing about TESOL but only know how to sell them.... more interesting, i soon discover the TESOL certificate issue by them was signed by the owner himself without any proper academic qualification!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

my advise to all of you... stay away from this school... go to Boston or British Council for reputation. I'm now doing the course with British Council. :wink:

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 6:20 pm

so it is confirmed that "native speaker" is always meant in a racist manner?!

so i may drop a $0.02 whenever i see a 'native speaker' required ad? :D
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 7:29 pm

What um said is true. You can have a better command of the English language than a supposed native speeaker but if you don't look the part, your chances are hugely diminished. Still, an uphill task shouldn't deter anyone who is um...determined enough.
some signatures are more equal than others

Zax

Re: Stay away from The TESOL Training Centre!

Postby Zax » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 10:57 pm

YTZ wrote:i used to study in The TESOL Training centre but quit after 2 weeks with them....basically this school is a very small set up with one man and one lady (suspect they are husband and wife) running the whole show, they know nothing about TESOL but only know how to sell them.... more interesting, i soon discover the TESOL certificate issue by them was signed by the owner himself without any proper academic qualification!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

my advise to all of you... stay away from this school... go to Boston or British Council for reputation. I'm now doing the course with British Council. :wink:

I agree with you... I have also bad experience with this school. They are located at Palmer Road called The TESOL Training Centre. I have few of my friends also decided to quit from the course and join British Council. I think it is better to trust the big guy.
Zax

Postby Guest » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 7:12 pm

Btw, try the JET program. Teaching English in Japan. Go search on the net for more information.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 8:22 pm

Nope, the JET programme is only open to teachers with a passport from an English-speaking country: UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia, NZ and South Africa.

I work with SG teachers who have an excellent command of English, but they still say things that a Native speaker simply would not say. I'm sorry if this is offensive to you, and I am not saying it is right, but that is simply the truth. It is not always about the white face.

Postby Guest » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 1:51 pm

riversandlakes wrote:so it is confirmed that "native speaker" is always meant in a racist manner?!

so i may drop a $0.02 whenever i see a 'native speaker' required ad? :D

It is not racist, as native English speakers come from a variety of different countries and are of a variety of different races. And the comments about having better grammar are obviously not based on the English (even the "good" varieties) here. Check the above comment: "I may drop a 2c whenever...". A native speaker would say: "I can drop MY 2c IN whenever..." Might sound picky, but that's the difference. It is a case of the language not quite sounding authentic.