Singapore Expats Forum

Aust guy - Great job offer - Visa q re same sex partner??

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

dash

Aust guy - Great job offer - Visa q re same sex partner??

Postby dash » Thu, 16 Jun 2005 5:33 pm

Hihi

I am an Australian guy who has been offered an amazing job with a US investment bank which i am interested in pursuing. I have a same sex partner who i would like to bring across with me. How would i go about doing this? All of the official websites seem to have scant detail on such issues.
Advice greatfully received.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 16 Jun 2005 6:26 pm

I am not a law expert but given the fact that homosexuality is illegal in Singapore, I have a hard time believing that the government would issue a dependent's pass to your partner.

From the MoM website:

ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
An Employment Pass holder (P1, P2, Q1) may apply Dependant's Passes for his / her spouse, unmarried or legally adopted children under 21 years of age.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Thu, 16 Jun 2005 9:01 pm

You can't get a dependent's pass if you're not married, regardless of gender.

Your partner will have to get a social visit pass. If he is also an Australian, he will get three months without being hassled. After that, he will have to renew it (probably easier to go on a holiday somewhere outside of SG and get a new stamp at the airport).

Is it possible for him to look for work here? That way he could get an EP in his own right.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 16 Jun 2005 9:21 pm

k1w1 wrote:You can't get a dependent's pass if you're not married, regardless of gender.

Well, DUH on me. You of course, cut to the meat of the matter.

Postby Guest » Fri, 17 Jun 2005 1:41 pm

more Duh?

For your attention k1w1, even if he's married, Singapore law does not recognise them legally. No dependent pass can be issued to the other partner. However the other partner can try finding a job and getting a WP or EP.

Try your luck then.

Postby Guest » Fri, 17 Jun 2005 7:12 pm

And you might want to add a hyphen. :oops:

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Fri, 17 Jun 2005 7:59 pm

Sorry, missed the point about the hyphen :? ... Strong Eagle said that same sex relationships are not recognised here, so I didn't see the need to repeat it.

Anyway "Dash". the other option is for your partner to study - that way he could get a student's pass.

Postby Guest » Mon, 04 Jul 2005 2:47 am

i suggest you dun come to singapore. it's a place full of "conservative" narrow-minded prudes who will not welcome you and your same-sex partner except the $$$ and talent you bring. Go some place where you won't feel like a second-class citizen dude!! :D