Singapore Expats Forum

SG Jobmarket for "Western" IT Business Analyst / Consultant

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

scamelsands

SG Jobmarket for "Western" IT Business Analyst / C

Postby scamelsands » Wed, 23 Jun 2004 2:21 am

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering what the Singapore job market is like.

I am a Senior IT Business Analyst with 9 years international IT / Consulting experience gained in Europe, Australia and the Middle East (where I am currently living).

I have a very broad "non-technical" / "non-software developement" background, with experience in Strategic / Business Systems Architecture / Business & System Requirements, Project Planning and Project Management, QA, User Testing, Technical Writing gained across a number of industries, including the airline industry.

I have looked at a number of job sites, however most of the positions advertised appear to be for fairly junior people mainly in software development and other technical roles with relatively low "local" salaries.

I am well aware of the presence of the Indian software development industry right across the world, including Singapore, and therefore am wondering if there are many opportunities for "western expat" employment as opposed to "local" lower paying employment

<Sorry, I really hate using the term "western expat" but it is necessary in these parts of the world, where race determines salary......>

I have heard about the SGD$100K + "expat" salary packages but have not been able to find any such opportunities advertised.

I look forward to your comments and advice!

Thanks & regards,

Scamelsands

P.S. I am also interested in learning more about the organisational / work culture in IT and Consulting companies in Singapore compared with the Middle East, Europe and Australia.

jpatokal

Re: SG Jobmarket for "Western" IT Business Analyst

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 23 Jun 2004 9:09 pm

scamelsands wrote:I am wondering what the Singapore job market is like.

Pretty bad.

I am a Senior IT Business Analyst with 9 years international IT / Consulting experience gained in Europe, Australia and the Middle East (where I am currently living). I have a very broad "non-technical" / "non-software developement" background, with experience in Strategic / Business Systems Architecture / Business & System Requirements, Project Planning and Project Management, QA, User Testing, Technical Writing gained across a number of industries, including the airline industry.

Nobody is going to pay S$100k to a jack of all trades -- if you expect to be hired out of the blue with a salary like that, you had better be an expert in exactly what they need and have a few solid references. On the other hand, if you tweak your resume to say that you have 9 years of extensive experience in software consulting for the airline industry, SQ might well take a second look.

But generally it's highly advisable to find your jobs through your own contacts, who can vouch that you are what you say and not just a puff of hot air. An interesting site along these lines: http://www.linkedin.com

Francis28

Postby Francis28 » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 9:24 pm

there are plenty of opportunities in SG, question is whether you are able to spot them