Singapore Expats Forum

Any runners out there?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
sth

Postby sth » Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:48 pm

Keep hydrated. It's easy in this humidity to forget to keep the fluids up....

sth

Postby sth » Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:48 pm

Keep hydrated. It's easy in this humidity to forget to keep the fluids up....

newgirl
Regular
Regular

Update

Postby newgirl » Tue, 21 Jun 2005 9:46 pm

Sorry, work has been mad busy so not had a chance to post a reply.

I am actually going back to the UK from 2-18 July so wont probably get a chance to organise anything before then. Good to see there are a few replies- I will pm you when I get back

ken_in_sg

Runnin

Postby ken_in_sg » Wed, 22 Jun 2005 2:34 pm

Hi
I am interested too.. But i am just a fun runner.. email me the details if you are organising anything..
Regards

sth

Postby sth » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:37 am

tomcat wrote:yup, agreed, i just start running and the lactic acid accumulated in my muscle is unbearable (end up asking masseur for help. it has been quite a few days and the pain is still there). :cry: by the way, what is the best way to get rid of the pain?

The problem might not be lactic acid if you say it's still there after a few days. Lactic acid will usually clear ofter a few hours, as the system gets rid of the acid build up though the supply of oxygen to the muscles (the hydrogen binds with the oxygen to form water and the acid neutralises).

Fallen asleep yet..? :D

Newgirl, I'd more than happy to give you a hand in organising something if you want...?

Conscripted

Postby Conscripted » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 2:07 pm

i'm keen too. count me in

SingaBayer

Let me know when/where your next run is...

Postby SingaBayer » Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:05 pm

I am interested to join as well. Just strated running regularly (10-20km/week) few months ago and want to participate in 1/2 marathon.

Please let me know when/where you'll run next (and maybe how fast u guys are - don't want tohold anyone back).

Cheers,

JP

sth

Postby sth » Mon, 08 Aug 2005 1:45 pm

How keen would you guys and gals be to have something once a month? Nothing too strenuous to start off with, as it'll give everyone a chance to gauge their level and then take it from there. I suspect the only difficulty would be folk living in different parts of the island, so open to suggestions on a good starting location and then shift it around each month... Good idea / bad idea?

newgirl
Regular
Regular

This Sunday

Postby newgirl » Mon, 08 Aug 2005 9:29 pm

Ok, Ok

I am rubbish at organising things.

I've been up to McRitchie Reservoir a few times and that appears to be v popular for running.

It looks as thought Braddell/Bishan are the nearest MRTs- does anyone know?

What about meeting this Sun at 10am (before it gets too hot) and take if from there?

PS- Please bring an oxygen tank for me - being Scottish, I am used to sub zero temps, so will probs pass out after 5 mins

rasblak

Re: This Sunday

Postby rasblak » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 5:39 pm

newgirl wrote:Ok, Ok

I am rubbish at organising things.

I've been up to McRitchie Reservoir a few times and that appears to be v popular for running.

It looks as thought Braddell/Bishan are the nearest MRTs- does anyone know?

What about meeting this Sun at 10am (before it gets too hot) and take if from there?

PS- Please bring an oxygen tank for me - being Scottish, I am used to sub zero temps, so will probs pass out after 5 mins

All right.. I'd be interested in that too. I'd suggest Braddell MRT control station, this Sunday 10am then. I wouldn't mind earlier though.
My email address is rasblakREMOVECHARACTERSINCAPSatlinuxmailDOT.org

Rico.

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Postby guruvishwanath » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 5:48 pm

I run on weekends (either Saturday or Sunday) at Macritchie. Bishan is the best MRT to alight and grab a bus to MacRitchie. If you get off at Braddell its a pain to walk. I live across from MacRitchie so its a five minute for me.

10 AM on a Sunday at MacRitchie is like Picaddaly Circus on a Sunday afternoon. Crowded as heck! You will have traffic jams at the parking lot. Tons of people streaming in. Humoungous amounts of kids who are happy running around. And people just strolling. Although I find it quite nice, it does take your energy away just navigating.

So I go early. Sometimes 6:00 AM or sometimes 7:30 AM. Depending. 10 AM also is quite hot and by the time you finish a decent run of 10K, it would be at least 1 hour if not a bit more. You will get dehydrated very fast.

Early morning is the best as the air is fresh and you can be at peace (relatively). You will have crowds but they will running with you on the board walk. The boardwalk is quite long and it traveses the reservoir.

You can also try Kayaking (although I have not done it yet).

Hope the above information is of some help.

newgirl
Regular
Regular

Postby newgirl » Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:35 am

guruvishwanath wrote:I run on weekends (either Saturday or Sunday) at Macritchie. Bishan is the best MRT to alight and grab a bus to MacRitchie. If you get off at Braddell its a pain to walk. I live across from MacRitchie so its a five minute for me.

10 AM on a Sunday at MacRitchie is like Picaddaly Circus on a Sunday afternoon. Crowded as heck! You will have traffic jams at the parking lot. Tons of people streaming in. Humoungous amounts of kids who are happy running around. And people just strolling. Although I find it quite nice, it does take your energy away just navigating.

So I go early. Sometimes 6:00 AM or sometimes 7:30 AM. Depending. 10 AM also is quite hot and by the time you finish a decent run of 10K, it would be at least 1 hour if not a bit more. You will get dehydrated very fast.

Early morning is the best as the air is fresh and you can be at peace (relatively). You will have crowds but they will running with you on the board walk. The boardwalk is quite long and it traveses the reservoir.

You can also try Kayaking (although I have not done it yet).

Hope the above information is of some help.

Hi thanks for the info G, I think it would be a MAJOR achievement for me to run at 6am though!!!!
So 10am at Bishan MRT tomorrow any takers?

vanda11

runners

Postby vanda11 » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 12:58 pm

Hey guys,

Are you all running on saturdays? well bishan is too far for those staying in the east. Anyone for east coast park. The distance is pretty good too for training long distance runs.

Wild Rover
Regular
Regular

Postby Wild Rover » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:19 am

I know this is an old thread but I am recently moved to Singapore and am interested in running the Singapore marathon too, but need someone to train with for motivation.

I ran Stockholm marathon in June (sub 4 hours) and have lost fitness since. Ran Mizuno 10K last Sunday nearly killed me in this heat!

So please let me know if anyone interested to train with me, or if the proposed 'club' ever got off the ground, if so any details?
What's worse, ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don't care

knnbeh

Postby knnbeh » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:09 am

Has not been running for the last 3 years due to work.

This year decided to get back into running.

Has done the 10km at Sentosa, will be running the half marathon on Sept 11. Just fun run, enjoy the long long road.

has already signed up for the full marathon.
Long long long road..........

Tarinning on my own at the west of Singapore.