Singapore Expats

Any runners out there?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
JackRabbit

Post by JackRabbit » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:24 am

I agree with the comment on Macritchie being like a weekend market. I start my run there usually around half 5 to 6 am on alternate days. Nothing beats running out in the open but if you have to gym then remember it's better to walk on the threadmill than run.

I've done a few triathlons and a couple of iron-man(s) and it's exhilirating. Even though you run with a pack but somehow the solitude you'll feel is out of this world..for you're running against yourself.

A sports erlated injury put a sudden halt to my 'indulgence' in these activites and I went downhill....but I've picked myself up again and have started to run.

It's a good idea to start a runners club and especially when you're starting out. You need the motivation others can give you and it's always inspiring to achieve what the rest can.

....so I'm up for it.

To get to Macritchie it is advisable to alight at Bishan MRT and take a bus.

You could walk from Braddell Mrt if you want to....though it's equivalent of a short distance run. Still it's good as a warm-up.

From Braddell MRT walk to the road that leads to the Toa Payoh Girls Home.On the other side of that uphill raod..(you'll pass by the School for The Blind) you'll end up along Thomson road.

Macrithie is just a few minutes walk from there...

MR25

Post by MR25 » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 1:38 pm

raye

any east-siders?

Post by raye » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 9:35 am

Hi,
I just ran the 12k for Sheares and hoping to run the half in Dec. Currently running with a bunch of people on the weekends at McRitchie. PM me for the schedule and if you would like to join - we usually run alternate sat/sun at 7:30pm.
That being said, was wondering if anybody would be interested in running on the east side, like along east coast?
There's no such thing as bad weather, only weak minds.

tangerika
Regular
Regular

Post by tangerika » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 7:31 pm

are the lockers at MacRitchie (close to a car park near Thomson Rd) functional? thanks!

Nick1

Post by Nick1 » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:23 am

If anyone is interested,,,, it's a bit extreme, but there will be a Hash Challenge in June 2006 in Malaysia. No, it is not a challenge to see how much beer you can drink (although those still standing at the end can certainly do that!).
The challenge is about 42km in length and is up and down through the jungles of Malaysia, unlike a normal marathon, this will not be completed in 4 or 5 hours, you are looking at 10 - 13 hours!!

You need a team of 4 that must have at least 1 female and 1 male in it.

There are 4 checkpoints and you cannot pass a check point until all your team have arrived.
Water, hydration salts and some kind of food (maybe bannanas and biscuits and water melon) are at the checkpoints.

I've done it twice and this year may be my last - it normally takes me about 11 hours. I am starting now from average fitness, as I haven't done much excercise in the last year or two - work got in the way! But need a goal so as to get fit again.

Anyone interested? - I already have a team, but will help you get in touch with the organisers if there is interest here, normally a couple of teams run from Singapore, it's an international event, but for amateurs (and proffesional Hashers like me ;)