Singapore Expats Forum

Any runners out there?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
newgirl
Regular
Regular

Any runners out there?

Postby newgirl » Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:51 pm

Hi

I saw a couple of topics earlier on looking to start a running club but don't know if they ever came to anything.

I am thinking of running the Singapore marathon in Dec, so better get my a** in gear fast. I've ran a few half marathons and ran the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge which, to be honest felt like a marathon in this humidity.

If anyone is interested in starting a group then please post/pm me. I've looked into a couple of running clubs here and they seem pretty full on. I'd be pretty much starting from scratch given the difference in conditions here compared to the UK and most clubs seem to train at MacRitchie Reservoir which is ideal. Even if you don't want to train for the marathon but just want to run for fun (LOL) feel free to drop me a line.

Cheers

discoveryhk

Postby discoveryhk » Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:31 am

i participated in the JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge as well, i would love to join you. Let me have the detail once fix.

cheers,
discoveryhk

sth

Postby sth » Fri, 17 Jun 2005 2:51 pm

Yeah, I'd be keen on that.

Also, any ideas how to track down up and coming 10km, half marathon, etc. events?

vanda11

running

Postby vanda11 » Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:53 am

well, wud love to join. ran few half marathons. so wud not mind the full this time.

vanda11

hi

Postby vanda11 » Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:16 pm

will be running for army half marathon. as though not the competitve coz did not train due to work. just run for fun n passion.

dchasser

Postby dchasser » Sat, 18 Jun 2005 7:08 pm

Hey, running real long distances sounds good for my gut, stopped running so long since I ended my army days. Fill me in on the developments.

Postby Guest » Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:29 pm

Am thinking of taking up running. What sort of benefits do you guys gain from running? Do you feel more energetic, more sexy and does running make your skin glow? :D

Btw, how many times to run per week, and for how long, to get the best results? Is it ok to run daily?

sth

Postby sth » Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:40 pm

Does it make you feel more sexy..? Don't know about that, but it is one of the easiest ways of at least getting your heartbeat above resting. You'll certainly feel more healthier, certainly physically healthy, as dchasser has pointed out...

dchasser

Postby dchasser » Sun, 19 Jun 2005 7:45 pm

Frankly when you start running, the first few sessions, you will feel like crap. But it picks up after that... You get used to it, and it does get quite energising and fun(in a way). But yeah if you don't take care and do enough stretching and stuff, you might face problems with your joints. Hydration is also very important, before especially, and after.

sth

Postby sth » Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:02 am

....also, you want to ensure you run in the right shoes, or you'll experience loads of problems, particularly if you're looking to do some serious distance. Get your feet checked out (do you pronate, are you neutral, etc.) and get the right shoe. You don't want dodgy knees...

runner

Postby runner » Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:05 am

sth wrote:....also, you want to ensure you run in the right shoes, or you'll experience loads of problems, particularly if you're looking to do some serious distance. Get your feet checked out (do you pronate, are you neutral, etc.) and get the right shoe. You don't want dodgy knees...

where can I get this checked? thanks

sth

Postby sth » Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:40 am

Good question. Usually some good sports shops have equipment to check your foot print (literally!). This will assess how your foot strikes the ground and whether you're neutral, pronate, etc. Then they should suggest an appropriate shoe for you... Does anyone know of any sports stores that may offer this?

Alternatively, a podiatrist can give you a more thorough examination

babykasim
Chatter
Chatter

Postby babykasim » Mon, 20 Jun 2005 4:42 pm

Hi,

Im thinking of participating as well.
I participated in last year's JP Morgan.

so if everything is on - let me know ya!!

cheers,

sth

Postby sth » Mon, 20 Jun 2005 5:00 pm

Has anyone done any of the Hash House Harriers runs?

tomcat

Postby tomcat » Mon, 20 Jun 2005 8:00 pm

yup, agreed, i just start running and the lactic acid accumulated in my muscle is unbearable (end up asking masseur for help. it has been quite a few days and the pain is still there). :cry: by the way, what is the best way to get rid of the pain?