Singapore Expats Forum

job interview face-to-face?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

epiman

job interview face-to-face?

Postby epiman » Tue, 14 Jun 2005 4:17 pm

Hi all I have been sent a signed 2 yr contract after just one phone interview, however I have never been to Singapore or meet any of my potential co-workers. I live in Munich and the flights are about €800 return, my monthly salary offered is S 6100 with accomodation allowances bonus etc thats a descent salary for a single guy? I have asked for them to fly me over at their cost so i can be sure its the right move and place i would like to work in (not a sweatshop) and they can see i am the right guy... I think that this cost to them is small in the long term, is it reasonable request? I also thought of offering to pay half the cost to show i am serious and if i take the job they pay my full costs? I am sure singapore is a blast but you have to be sure on such a move, life in munich is not so bad...

cheers G.

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Move ahead

Postby joop » Tue, 14 Jun 2005 6:02 pm

epiman,

That's a good move - I think you ought to know who your future employer would be and make yourself comfortable and themselves comfortable with you as well.

Plus, you should do some research on the web on the company on its establishment, reputation etc. to be doubly sure!

Good luck.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Tue, 14 Jun 2005 8:14 pm

Interesting. I am in the same situation as you except reversed.

Adventures of an educated Ah Beng in Germany.

Exciting times ahead.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:18 pm

So Banana is taking over Epiman's job? Is this some kind of exchange program or what?

I am very surprised to hear that people are being offered jobs without ever being interviewed face to face... As research shows, 99% of all people get selected on the x-factor: looking at someone and decide in the first 20 seconds.

So consider yourself one of the rest, the 1%.

I totaly agree with Joop, come over and get to see the reality behind the facade.

Eric

dchasser

Postby dchasser » Fri, 17 Jun 2005 4:36 pm

I think if you're offered SGD6000+ plus benefits it is not bad at all, but hopefully it lives up to what it says in reality!

It IS strange that all you had was a phone interview, that said, good luck... Tell us when you're in here we'll throw u a welcome party! :lol:

ParisLondonSingapore

Postby ParisLondonSingapore » Sun, 19 Jun 2005 5:18 am

hi

what kind of industry are you talking about ?
what's your experience/degree ?

rgds
Find a financial job in London

www.manprod.com

epiman

Postby epiman » Mon, 20 Jun 2005 3:45 pm

ParisLondonSingapore wrote:hi

rgds

Lab research work for biomedical institute
I have a PhD on pharmaceutics with 4 year post- PhD exp.
still debating whether to take the plunge!

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 2:46 pm

Wow. If money's your thing, which I suspect is not, there are so many better options you can take. Biomed has immense potential in the region and would certainly jump at someone of your qualifications.

singaporegirl79

Postby singaporegirl79 » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 2:52 pm

what kind of job is that? are they still hiring? hehehehe! :D

wow, Flying all the way from Germany to Singapore without even knowing how it is must be exciting. But do remember to read your contract carefully incase they hire you to be a giggolo after a phone interview. hehe.. Anyways, I hope you have a nice time in the new job and will be able to tolerate us, the nosey noisy singaporeans. ;)

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Alfalfa » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 2:55 pm

Good Luck epiman...i don't know much about the job you do but you'll have fun with us in singapore.. just stay in contact thats all..

cheers :)
We'll get along fine as soon as you realize I'm Good.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 4:56 pm

epiman wrote:
ParisLondonSingapore wrote:hi

rgds

Lab research work for biomedical institute
I have a PhD on pharmaceutics with 4 year post- PhD exp.
still debating whether to take the plunge!

Well I think you are under paid, but that said, money is not always the motivator and shouldn't be.

I believe the demand is quite strong in Asia for this type of work, and if I remember back in 1991 a friend from Malay was working for boots in London on a normal degree for 500 pound a week PhD in this area is significantly better paid.

But the offer you have is very good all the same, I would go for it! You will not regret it.

dominique5198

research in Sigapore

Postby dominique5198 » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 5:29 pm

Hi, Just read you message, sounds really exciting. Have you started the job in Sigapore. What company are you working for.

I have a master degree in Biomedical Science from UK and currently working in a lab at a University in UK, and have been looking for opportunities in Sigapore, just wonder if you can give me some information.