Singapore Expats Forum

how good is SMU ?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

magicwand

how good is SMU ?

Postby magicwand » Mon, 13 Jun 2005 2:57 pm

is SMU school of business good ...in terms of lecturers , infrastructure / facilities etc ?

Also would like to how goo NTU school of business is ?

Which is better ? SMu or NTU ???

Javier
Regular
Regular

Postby Javier » Tue, 14 Jun 2005 1:08 pm

That's difficult to day. I guess it's all boils down to the branding. SMU is branding itself as a business school and NTU is more of a goverment uni with all sorts of courses.

Of cause, NTU has a much longer history.
Useful webby for expats: Blog of nice things you can find in Singapore costing below $2. Updated very regularly.
http://www.cheaploh.com.sg

chocoswiss
Regular
Regular

Postby chocoswiss » Fri, 17 Jun 2005 3:54 pm

IMO: although NTU is more establoshed and will no doubt provide a good acct education, i would prefer smu...
being a 'businessy' school it gives an 'atmosphere' of such.... since singapore is aiming ti be a mjor educational hub, i doubt those in power are gonna let smu fail... from my seniors [i will be starting uni in coming aug], they have absolutely no regrets reagrding choosing smu.....
but i do have a few frenz who chose ntu acct over smu cos itz older.....
campus wise, smu does have a brand of more 'vibrancy' and i belive it is true, not juz a marketing gimmik.... :)

i had a tough time choosing between smu n nus [it was mroe of a debate btw doing engineering and acct] but for acct/business i wud have def gone smu...
~ If You Want Breakfast In Bed, Sleep In The Kitchen~

~nazron se dekh liya hota agar tamana thi aazmane ki..... hum to behosh yoon hi hojate, kya zaroorat thi muskurane ki.............~

Postby Guest » Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:29 pm

Would you really want to study in Jurong ? There are no fancy bars, restaurants, no place to chill out if you need a change from the campus (and the campus is in you face).

Apart from Brunei, I do not see any other more boring places.

Students complain about isolation, and can't wait to leave after a few months

A vibrant and lively place for education? Forget about Jurong.

chocoswiss
Regular
Regular

Postby chocoswiss » Sat, 18 Jun 2005 8:25 pm

well, there are plans to make ntu a more vibrnatg place with new facilities/clubs/cinemas/shops.....

~nazron se dekh liya hota agar tamana thi aazmane ki..... hum to behosh yoon hi hojate, kya zaroorat thi muskurane ki.............~

Postby Guest » Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:34 am

There was a debate as to which university (NTU or NUS) should move to bukit Timah. The debate focused on traditions (which university was there originally?). To that extent, the debate completely missed the issue:

How many students are aware of these traditions ? Almost none.

How many NTU students suffer from the isolation of the NTU campus ? Almost all.

I wonder what kind of oustanding academic achievements did SMU achieve to be awarded two top locations in SG in less than 4 years (Bukit Timah first, and then Bra Basah campus).

Is this because of their marketing buzz (e.g. we are different and blablabla...)? Basically, any schools can make such pretentious claims, as these remains unproven and difficult to prove anyway...

As for further development in Jurong to bring some life to NTU. I have heard of these for 4 years, and never seen anything so far.

chocoswiss
Regular
Regular

Postby chocoswiss » Mon, 20 Jun 2005 4:54 pm

hmm, i am not sure exactly waht the plans are, it came out in newspapers few weeks back to make a whole 'city' kinda thign at ntu to give it mroe life... i work their n travellin all the way from katong to ntu sux!! sooo far away... thank god i will be studying in nus....

Postby Guest » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 4:03 pm

NTU student life: locking yourself in your room, spending the evening browsing on the net, or on messenger. Sound great ????

There are hall activities, but no opportunity to go dancing, clubbings and other things that young people would normally do. Moham Sult Road, and other leasure outlets, are just too far...

chocoswiss
Regular
Regular

Postby chocoswiss » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 4:08 pm

ya it is kinda pathetic compared to nus n smu.... :?

Postby Guest » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 5:18 pm

Yes, and how many students can afford to pay a taxi (20-25) dollars after midnight to come back form Moham Sult Road to NTU dorms? Few. So going out? no. thanks

Postby Guest » Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:10 am

Students play drums from 7.30 to 9.30 (sometimes till 10pm) twice a week (Monday and Wednesday).

Noisy? Yes.

Vibrant? No.

Postby Guest » Sun, 26 Jun 2005 4:51 pm

SMU has a pretty location and nice surroundings.

The same can not be said for NTU Jurong.

You can attract the elite to San Francisco, London, Hong Kong Island... but Jurong ?