Singapore Expats Forum

Set up for IT contractors in Singapore??

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Singapore wannabe

Set up for IT contractors in Singapore??

Postby Singapore wannabe » Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:10 pm

hi all,

I'm planning on coming out to singapore in the next few months on an IT (SAP) contract.....

in other countries i've worked i've always gone through an umbrella company who sort out taxes, contracts, all that kind of thing....

or the other alternative has been to set up my own company.

But i can't find any info on how IT contractors work out in singapore....are they treated as regular employees of the company offering the contract or does the umbrella concept exist there too?

Any info would be much appreciated....

Many thanks!
D

MaiChai

Postby MaiChai » Sun, 12 Jun 2005 1:24 am

Where will you be employed from? If you are being recruited abroad you will get much better terms than if recruited locally. Local contractors are treated like dirt; a little more money than permanent, without the benefits. Best to stick to Europe/US contracting, and get sent here for stints. Engineering (including IT) is not valued here. In Europe its a profession, here its a akin to the guy who fixes the lift. Thats why anyone here in IT will be regarded as an engineer (note not senior, junior, consultant, tech lead, etc, as you would get in Europe).