Singapore Expats Forum

How long do I need to wait after I applied for jobs?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Sicily

How long do I need to wait after I applied for jobs?

Postby Sicily » Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:20 am

Since I am new to Singapore, I am not quite sure their recruitment procedure in here. Please kindly give me some idea for the follow questions:

1. Normally if a company is interested in my application, how soon would I hear from them?
2. If there is a dead line for application, how long after the dead line they will send out invitation for interview?
3. For a PR in principle applicant who has 5 years+ Sales and Marketing experience (non-electronics), with a UK Master degree (non-business) asking for S$4-5000/ month, is it too much?
4. Actually I just started to apply for jobs beginning of this month, but I am just a little worry about how soon I can get a job here. I am getting bored of doing nothing already!

Please give me some advise!

Eddieliu

some little advice

Postby Eddieliu » Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:18 pm

Hi there!

Perhaps I can answer some of your questions here, but again it is only my observation having been in this country for four years.

As a rule of thumb, if you do not hear from your prospective employer within two weeks after the deadline, you may assume your application has not been successful. The same applies to the case after you attend an interview. A gentle reminder, most companies here strictly observe efficiency, that is to say, they do not bother to inform you if you have not been selected.

Instead of being worried, I would suggest you keep sending more applications. The job hunt may take months, but of course all depends on the market demand of your skills and qualifications. Also, as has always been written in this forum, the locals, if they can offer the same skills as yours, are usually given the priority.

Good luck.

Re: How long do I need to wait after I applied for jobs?

Postby Guest » Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:20 pm

Sicily wrote:Since I am new to Singapore, I am not quite sure their recruitment procedure in here. Please kindly give me some idea for the follow questions:

1. Normally if a company is interested in my application, how soon would I hear from them?
2. If there is a dead line for application, how long after the dead line they will send out invitation for interview?
3. For a PR in principle applicant who has 5 years+ Sales and Marketing experience (non-electronics), with a UK Master degree (non-business) asking for S$4-5000/ month, is it too much?
4. Actually I just started to apply for jobs beginning of this month, but I am just a little worry about how soon I can get a job here. I am getting bored of doing nothing already!

Please give me some advise!
u can do some job like answering a survey just like me,and they really pay you and last month i received a cheque from this company , what u do just accept my invitation ,wait first ,u must tell me first ur email address,or just log in to:htt://letsconnect.synovate.com (try please)be a member and you will be rewarded

ans

Re: How long do I need to wait after I applied for jobs?

Postby ans » Mon, 27 Jun 2005 8:12 pm

It takes normally 2-3 months to get a decent job depending on ones skillset. The best thing thing you can do is to meet as many people as you can from your industry. You may identify few contacts from www.linkedin.com and chase them.... The idea is let people around you know that you are looking for job and keep on taking advice from industry experts...

All the best
Ans

VMX5

Postby VMX5 » Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:21 am

It is usually faster if you apply through job agencies. From being interviewed to starting work, the whole process could take less than 3 weeks, that is, if you have been selected.

If you apply directly to the company, just the process of shortlisting could take up to 2 weeks or more, depending on the size of the HR of the company.