Singapore Expats Forum

Spanish Paella

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!

Spanish Paella

Postby paellafanatic » Tue, 07 Jun 2005 2:36 pm

Hi, I'm a Singaporean who loves spanish cuisine and the paella and have studied spanish language for 3 years. I'm looking to make spanish speaking friends in Singapore and especially those who know how to make a good paella! Please contact me at socialjustice @

I know!!!

Postby lizzieines » Tue, 07 Jun 2005 10:05 pm

Hi there,

I know that there's no real paella place in Singapore.
I was living in Alicante for few years. I miss it soooo much.
I did try all the spanish restaurant in Singapore but no luck.
If you find any would you share the info with me?

have a good evening.

Postby food » Thu, 09 Jun 2005 11:21 pm

best place for paella or any spanish food in Asia is manila so if u have any filipino friends, try to take a trip to Manila and try out the spanish restaurants Casa Armas, and a few others in makati. While you're there, you might wanna try the italian restaurants also. They're better than any you'll find in singapore.

dot dot dot

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 10 Jun 2005 4:34 am

Streeters restaurant in Chinatown (forgot the name of the street, sidestreet of Neil Road) is not bad at all. Haven't tried the paella, but the tapas are excellent and authentic. Great sangria and rose wine as well.

Re: Spanish Paella

Postby queenie-me » Fri, 10 Jun 2005 8:33 am

Here' notice that you've study the language of spanish. I've always have the interest in spanish language. Just wondering if any of you would like to teach me spanish?

Re: Spanish Paella

Postby csbyrnes84 » Sat, 11 Jun 2005 1:47 pm

Paella isn't that difficult of a dish to make. I have not made it recently, but I make Jambalaya all the time and its basically the same recipe, but with more sea food and saffron thrown into the mix.

There is very good Spanish food in my area of the USA as a result of the large Portugese community nearby.

Has anyone thought to checkout to see if the restaurants in Macau make good paella's and other Spanish dishes? I'd bet that they probably do.

queenie-me wrote:Here' notice that you've study the language of spanish. I've always have the interest in spanish language. Just wondering if any of you would like to teach me spanish?

Postby little_bold_bear » Sun, 19 Jun 2005 10:42 pm

I can cook paella! :D It's something I learned from my dad's aunt, and she cooks the best paella. Unfortunately, it does take a long time to prepare it properly. I'm sure I've got the recipe somewhere....

Oooh, and chorizo!!! So yummy . . . . it's been a while since I had tapas....

You might try the Asian Cafe in Lucky Plaza. My Filipino friend says the chef is actually a reputable one, and they just might have paella on the menu.

Postby TurronLover » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 4:29 am

Any place in Singapore where they sell Turron Blando? I found a place which sell Sangria, The Marketplace in Raffles City.

Postby lizzieinsg » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 1:08 pm

Oh my god I love Turron. Though it's not christmas time I used to have alot. I lived in Alicante imagine that.
Me too!!! Where can we buy???

Postby marta » Thu, 23 Jun 2005 6:00 pm

I am new in Singapore, and Spanish, I heard someone wanted to make spanish speaking friends? :-)

Can't garantee that I make a good paella, but I can try!

Where you can find Paella..

Postby singaporegirl79 » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:36 am

Hi I love paella too. I know it is abit difficult to find one restaurant that sells good spanish paella in Singapore. I asked many of my Spanish friend but they all said that it takes alot of time to make them too. So, if you want to have an easy way out. You might want to try these places..

The Tapas Tree
#01-08 Shop House Row 3D
Clark Quay, River Valley Road
Tel: 68372938

Or a more expensive one..

Esmiralda, I believe the one in somerset had closed.. and they are reopening it in Orchard Hotel. You can go check it out there.

Hope it helps. If you want to make your own, I also have some paella instant packets, I can also send them to you by post :) Just send me a private message! (while stock last! hehe!)

Postby paellafanatic » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 6:12 pm

Thanks for the response. I have actually made paella more than 10 times. And yes, it does take a long time. But I'm still trying to perfect my paella making skills. I'm not a great or good cook but I just want to learn paella and other spanish stuff...haha..

I've even got the paellera all the way from Spain - in big and small sizes. So I am pretty much crazy about learning it :)

Anyway, if there are spanish speaking people who are interested to get to know Singaporeans who are interested in the spanish language and culture, email me at socialjustice @ and I will get you guys in touch and we can organize a meeting with native spanish speakers and Singaporeans interested in Spanish.

God bless

hola :)

Postby singaporegirl79 » Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:51 pm

That's nice :)! I wish i know how to make them too. I did it once and It turned out that I put too much water. and it's more like wet rice than paella. (yucks!)

Hope you have a nice time meeting spanish people in Singapore :) I have a good friend from Spain here! she is really funny. I think Spanish people are very fun-loving.

Ok, enuff of my nosense :) Nice to meet you!

Postby foodie » Sun, 26 Jun 2005 1:26 pm

A few friends of mine actually went to learn to make this dish. They said it was very fun and they enjoyed it but it does have many ingredients in it. They did a Spanish cooking class at Cookery Magic. They have a website:

BTW - None of them have invited me for a paella meal yet. They say-no time to make it yet!!!! :)

Postby paellafanatic » Sun, 03 Jul 2005 12:57 am

singaporegirl, please email me at - thanks. Let me know what kind of paella packets you have!