Singapore Expats Forum

Charges for Recruitment Agency

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Sicily

Charges for Recruitment Agency

Postby Sicily » Sun, 05 Jun 2005 12:04 pm

I am currently looking for jobs and thinking to look for a job through some recruitment agency. Does anyone get a job by using any of these agencies? Is there any charges if they get you a job?

Javier
Regular
Regular

Postby Javier » Sun, 05 Jun 2005 10:19 pm

I don't think they charge u. They charge your company...
Useful webby for expats: Blog of nice things you can find in Singapore costing below $2. Updated very regularly.
http://www.cheaploh.com.sg

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Jun 2005 2:12 pm

In Singapore it is against the law to charge a job seeker a fee to help them obtain a job. The most that can be charged is a small administrative registration fee that would be paid by all applicants whether or not they are successful in finding a job. (Most no longer do this)

Recruitment agencies are paid by their client companies only on successful placements. That is why most do not give good feedback service to candidates. Candidates (job seekers) are considered inventory with a short shelf life (like fresh fruit) at most agencies, that is why you see the exact same advertisements every week by the agencies.

sms

unhappy

Charges from Agency

Postby unhappy » Fri, 05 Aug 2005 5:58 pm

I had just come across a recruitment agency which they actually asking you to pay a introductsion fee of $52.50 (inc GST) and they had to impose a penalty of 80% of the offered salary if you commit for less than 90 in the company.

MR Spyder

Re: Charges for Recruitment Agency

Postby MR Spyder » Fri, 05 Aug 2005 6:40 pm

Sicily wrote:I am currently looking for jobs and thinking to look for a job through some recruitment agency. Does anyone get a job by using any of these agencies? Is there any charges if they get you a job?

What kind of job are u actually looking for?

Cat

Postby Cat » Fri, 05 Aug 2005 8:55 pm

recruit express charge $50+ for intro fee.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Aug 2005 10:00 am

I would assume they charge everyone who is introduced by them to an employer with this fee. I personally would ask MOM if it is legal but that said it is not much different that the registration fee I spoke of earlier (they just don't register you (sic!) until they can intro you to a client). Do they charge you this fee even if you are not hired? If so, maybe is okay but I think it is chickensh1t! Most agencies didn't at least up until about a year ago anyway.

If they only charge you if you are hired, they what they are doing is illegal.

sms

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Sat, 06 Aug 2005 5:52 pm

been with a few recruitment agencies and they found me a job successfully without a dime charged. i've seen a few advertisements and emails asking me to pay upfront US$100 to get a guaranteed job.

sounds more like a scam.

you don't pay the agency, the company pays the agency.
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Cat

Postby Cat » Sat, 06 Aug 2005 5:54 pm

Ya lo...Coz i suppose they will get it frm e employer. Not employee...$100

dure get a job? But provided that u like e job anot.

Postby Guest » Sun, 07 Aug 2005 3:59 pm

Recruit Express charges you S$50 only when you accept the job offer. This does not apply to temp jobs though.

BullDog

Postby BullDog » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 7:54 pm

Anonymous wrote:Recruit Express charges you S$50 only when you accept the job offer. This does not apply to temp jobs though.

This is the first time I heard of such a fee. But then I know Recruit Express to be an aggressive player in this market. They are not the biggest or best but they do market their services a lot.

veryveryrich

Beware of Recruit Express, they are Suckers!

Postby veryveryrich » Wed, 14 Dec 2005 7:23 pm

:mad:

Some of my friends have had an offer from a MNC, but they were only given the details about the "contract" by Recruit Express WHEN the offer came! Believe it or not? Some of the details are KILLING! Couldn't believe they actually DID placed ppl working for that MNC before this! Check some of these out...

[P/S: Also, for those of you who will be 'surprised' to be placed under the Recruitment Firm and then being, somehow, "outsourced" to the MNC, as a client, you wouldn't even want to think about the offer at all...]

===
XXX Co. processes payroll on the xx of every month. You will submit your Monthly Timesheet and any applicable claims to us by Xpm on this day (or one working day earlier if the xx day falls on a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday).
Your salary will be credited into your XXX account by GIRO on the xx of the month. Monthly pay-slip will be sent to you as proof of your wages and all applicable and mandatory statutory contributions made.

[Sounded like a FACTORY WORKER ISN'T IT?] :shock:

---
We reserve the right to terminate your service at any time without notice on any of the following grounds:
(some rules set as 'breaches' of contract)
Any of the above circumstances shall constitute a breach of contract and you shall pay XXX Co. an amount equivalent to your one (1) month’s salary.

---
During the course of this contract or within XXX (X) months of the termination of this contract, you shall not, without prior written approval of XXX Co., solicit for or take up any form of employment directly or indirectly with the Client or its other business units/departments/associates/subsidiaries/clients or any other company to which our Client may outsource you in the course of this contract.

---
If you fail to start work on the stipulated commencement date without our knowledge and the prior approval of the Client, you are liable to pay XXX Co. liquidated damages equivalent to your two months’ salary.

===

They show these ONLY to you when the offer is made. As oppose to some mentioned, where they DO inform before the interview, that we have to pay SGD50 upon accepting the offer, plus we will have to compensate 80% of our 1 month salary, should we work less than 3 months during the contract. It seemed they can slap the candidate any time they want but the candidate has been "SOLD" :o to them, almost nothing to argue on whatever they post at later date of contract!!!

TOTALLY a WASTE OF TIME and BENEFITING THEMSELVES isn't it??? :x :mad: :evil:

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Wed, 14 Dec 2005 9:09 pm

OK, perhaps there is payment for finding factory jobs? :o

Not for IT jobs (not the data entry type perhaps?). I'm not paying a single-cent (middle-finger emo)...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Dec 2005 4:29 pm

The reason for the stiff clause regarding leaving and going to work for the client, or leaving to go somewhere else is because the consultant who placed you on the job gets a commission for placing you. Unfortunately, the recruitment company often gets burned because people working here in singapore are notorious for not staying on the job, walking off the job without notice. When this happens, there are refunds of fees to the companys clients. Unfortunately, you cannot make an employee refund a commission, hence the recruitment company gets burned. As profit margins on recruitment of temp/contract staff is very low to start with, they have to find a way to cover their losses due to the poor attitudes of workers in singapore.

What to do? The job seekers have brought this upon themselves with their job hopping tendencies.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:09 pm

But sms, it's fire or be fired world we live in now...loyalty is worth squat, or at least it's just worth an Utopian dream.