Singapore Expats Forum

DP holder wants to freelance

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Aquatic

DP holder wants to freelance

Postby Aquatic » Fri, 03 Jun 2005 11:34 am

Hi, I have a Dependent's pass and am looking to do some freelance work, based at home. Do I need to register a business?

Javaguy

Re: DP holder wants to freelance

Postby Javaguy » Fri, 03 Jun 2005 11:50 am

Aquatic wrote:Hi, I have a Dependent's pass and am looking to do some freelance work, based at home. Do I need to register a business?

I think it's illegal to do so. Anyway, it's your choice and upto the government to find out.

cheers

Re: DP holder wants to freelance

Postby Guest » Fri, 03 Jun 2005 2:11 pm

Aquatic wrote:Hi, I have a Dependent's pass and am looking to do some freelance work, based at home. Do I need to register a business?

I discussed this with MOM, when i arrived because i was also working freelance before getting my DP, I told them i didn't wish to be resident, and i travel every 180 days back to Europe, But the problem is that if your total time here comes over 183 days, you have to pay tax here.

Of course the tax is lower, but in my case I have other benefits in Europe

Anyway, they say freelance is complicated, and I explained I only do around 20 hrs a month, and it's more of a hobby, they told me to forget about registering for business if it's a hobby.

There seems to be no real line drawn on self employment or freelance working. They then suggested I talk with ACRA about it, I've not really bothered, I do no work in Singapore yet.

It does bother me a little, because I would like to expand my activities to Singapore, So I may have to register the business in the end.

If you would like to discuss business from home, I have many ideas, We could also consider doing something together and share the cost here in Sing.

My wife is already engaged in her own business venture her, and i don't like to work to closely with her, for obvious reasons, but we could distribute her products from home.

My wife is Taiwanese with an MBA education from the states and has many business contacts around the world.

I also freelance for Taiwanese manufacturer and do a couple of hours a month. If interested let me know and i will contact you.