Singapore Expats Forum

Travelling to US

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Travelling to US

Postby Kimi » Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:19 pm

Am thinking to visit some friends definitely in NY state and in California state, and if I had more time probably some others in between most likely in October. The autumn there even in NY shouldn't be that cold ay?
So was wondering if there are any recommended places to visit in California esp. LA and SF city, NY city and Boston?
Also where to buy reasonable tickets to travel in US at least between NY and California, as well as the international flight between here and US?
Cheers in advance.

Uncle Sam

Postby Uncle Sam » Thu, 02 Jun 2005 11:03 pm

Yahoo US - Travel is good for buying tix online for domestic US travel. It's Travelocity. Keep in mind that domestic air travel in the US is pretty expensive, it could cost US$500 or more to fly from the West Coast to the East. It's about a 6 hour flight, I think.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 02 Jun 2005 11:18 pm

United is about the cheapest airline to get to the US. You may be able to get a better deal if you catch a cheap flight to Bangkok on a regional, then fly from there.

In the US, fly Southwest Airlines... you can hop all over the country with about the cheapest fares... check their website for details.

As for things to see... LA... Hollywood, Disnesyland, Long Beach... although I could miss LA altogether... I've lived there... a large urban area with interesting things to see... but not very touristy.

San Francisco... stunning scenery... from the city itself to a trip to the north to the vineyards... an excellent place to visit.

Fly west... see the Grand Canyon... then to Austin... hill country of Texas... excellent... might as well hit New Orleans... a unique flavor... perhaps onto Florida and a taste of Disney World.

Then up the east coast... Savannah, Georgia maybe... to Washington, DC... the capitol is an amazing place in spite of George Bush and parasitic politicians... further up leads you to Maryland... Annaopolis... then up to New York... see the city... take a flight back eastward to get home.

Just a start... the US is very large. It's like trying to see Europe... you can only see a tiny part at a time.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Thu, 02 Jun 2005 11:30 pm

SE, u forgot Universal Studios in LA!! i had a great time there! and yes, disneyland of course. not sure whats the big deal about hollywood though.

fell in love with SF, its so different and beautiful. Kimi, u must go to Lombard Street in SF. and the pier. and golden gate bridge and haight ashbury street and well, i could go on.

Grand Canyon is just mindblowing, makes u feel so small, its awesome!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Thu, 02 Jun 2005 11:33 pm

oh and when i was on a cost cutting trip, i flew Eva Air, i think it was a tad cheaper than United. and within the US, Southwest was best.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Wayves

Postby Wayves » Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:30 pm

Hi Kimi! Keep D.C. in mind as an option. :D

Postby Guest » Thu, 09 Jun 2005 5:04 pm

If you're looking to buy tickets from Singapore to the US, then I would definitely check out Yahoo! Travel Singapore which can give you a range of prices of flights/times/dates.

I actually have to correct Uncle Sam because that person was incorrect for saying that travelling in the US is pretty expensive from West Coast to East Coast. $500US-- you're joking?!

Your best bet for traveling domestically across the US (from East to West or vice versa) is JetBlue. It's my favorite airlines there and very cheap. Only $100US one-way or $200+US roundtrip from New York to LA. Very reasonable indeed. You can go to www.jetblue.com

Another good website to check out is www.orbitz.com if you want to check out other air travel deals within the US.

Good luck and have a wonderful time! ;-)