Singapore Expats Forum

international school salary?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

illy

international school salary?

Postby illy » Thu, 02 Jun 2005 12:27 pm

I have been asked to go for an interview at Dover Court School. On their website there is no info about salary packages. Does anyone have any idea about their salaries, and whether they provide the standard expat package i.e. air ticket, accommodation etc.
I don't want to ask before i've even been for the interview.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Thu, 02 Jun 2005 12:51 pm

Since you are assumingly in Singapore, and are applying as a "local" (ie: not overseas applicant) then you will not be eligible for expat benefits. Apparently the reasoning behind this is they figure if you are already here, you have the benefits from one company...

Salaries will vary according to school, experience etc. I would ask aboutt hat at the interview - they should offer that info to you at the interview anyway, so you are able to make a decision also.

illy

international school salary

Postby illy » Thu, 02 Jun 2005 1:01 pm

Actually, i've just left singapore for taiwan. I have to take time off work and pay for an air ticket to go to the interview. I need to know whether it will be worth my while. Since i'm not singaporean, i would be on an expat package - that is, if they offer one!
Thanks for the reply. If you have any more info, pls let me know.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Thu, 02 Jun 2005 7:06 pm

Hi again,

I gather they are not keen to give you a telephone interview. It's pretty harsh that they are expecting all this out of your pocket before even offering the job. In this case (since it is a big investment on your part), I ould DEFINATELY be forward enough to ask about the salary and benefits - explain that you want to make as much of an informed decision as possible so no one's time is wasted. Surely they should understand that...

I would try also and contact some of the other schools (depending on your area of teaching/vacancies etc). You might even be able to jack up interviews with other places, if you explain that you are coming in to look for work. That way, you might be even able to pick from a couple of options.

Supposedly (this is heresay - I do not work in an International School, but have thoroughly researched this as I am hoping to do so in the future): UWC, OFS are high payers. Heaps of opp's for advancement/promotion/training etc. CIS/Chatsworth/ISS lower payers, don't expect heaps from your time outside of class (like extra-curricular activities, meetings etc). Depending on your situation, these options could have different pro's and con's. I have heard that the other schools prefer (but not always) teachers from their base countries as this is relevant to the curriculum as well as the background of students and parents.

Best of luck for your interview.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Thu, 02 Jun 2005 9:26 pm

I agreed with previous forum reply--try to line up several interviews before forking out money for airfare and accommadation.
I am an expat, moved here because hubby was offered a job here(previously unemployed). We(myself & children) receive NO benefits from his employment, other than the obvious--a pay cheque!!
I applied with OFS only, because I have 2 children there. I was offered a position on a local contract. I am receiving credit for all my previous experience, so therefore, I didn't even question my salary or benefits which include medical insurance for myself, and tution relief for the children. I feel very lucky and thankful to be offered a position.
Good luck, I'm sure there are several International Schools looking for your experience, whatever that may be.

illy

Is it my passport??

Postby illy » Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:51 pm

Thanks to all for your very informative responses. Maybe, since i applied while "living" in Singapore, they expected an interview (although I told them i am currencly working in Taiwan.) I probably spoke to a receptionist!
As for your advice re trying to line up interviews, no such luck. I have applied to every int. school. Is it my S. African passport that stands in the way? I have learned that, in the East, you specify that you are Caucasian.
I have a 4-year teaching degree, with Music as a major. I have 14 years experience in teaching Music, Primary school, ESL. I am not applying for a senior position, although I have held these back home at a very young age. I have excellent recommendations. Are the British and the Americans better qualified? More experienced? Or am I correct in assuming it's the passport??? Are only certain universities good enough?
Any thoughts on this?

Re: Is it my passport??

Postby Guest » Sat, 04 Jun 2005 11:26 am

illy wrote:Thanks to all for your very informative responses. Maybe, since i applied while "living" in Singapore, they expected an interview (although I told them i am currencly working in Taiwan.) I probably spoke to a receptionist!
As for your advice re trying to line up interviews, no such luck. I have applied to every int. school. Is it my S. African passport that stands in the way? I have learned that, in the East, you specify that you are Caucasian.
I have a 4-year teaching degree, with Music as a major. I have 14 years experience in teaching Music, Primary school, ESL. I am not applying for a senior position, although I have held these back home at a very young age. I have excellent recommendations. Are the British and the Americans better qualified? More experienced? Or am I correct in assuming it's the passport??? Are only certain universities good enough?
Any thoughts on this?

To be honest with you, it is my opinion that it may be your accent from South Africa, that puts them off. I do know people in Taiwan, Taipei from South Africa, that are teaching in Bushi Ban, So I guess it is easier in Taiwan. You know what the British system is like in Singapore, even though they speak poor English.

Postby Guest » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 6:36 am

k1w1

Where do you get this info that UWC and OFS are high payers? This is just a myth!

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 7:38 pm

Anonymous wrote:k1w1

Where do you get this info that UWC and OFS are high payers? This is just a myth!

I am happy to be corrected - but as I have looked into this and know a few teachers here (being one myself) this has been the general consensus.

Do you know something I don't - please fill us in!

VMX5

Postby VMX5 » Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:17 am

can anyone post an expected salary range for teaching job in International Schools?

Postby Guest » Fri, 08 Jul 2005 3:37 pm

i m earning s$5000.00 p/m and i think this is the best salary for a teacher at an International School. this's the top of the scale.