Singapore Expats Forum

How to pass the job interview....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

lotus sutra

How to pass the job interview....

Postby lotus sutra » Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:51 pm

I hope I can get some good advices from all you nice folks out there on how to ace the interviews.

I know there are internet resources like jobmonster.com? and others. But I hope to hear from the personal experiences of some of you nice guys and gals.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers!!!;)

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 01 Jun 2005 11:06 pm

I've hired more than 200 people in my career, so here's my personal observations.

1. Confidence is the utmost important characteristic. When you are finally invited into the office for an interview, do you walk in looking timid, not sure what is going to happen next, or do you stride confidently towards the desk, make eye contact, and extend your hand for a handshake before the interviewer has time to get up? Trust me... lasting impressions are made in the first 20 seconds and if you come across as a mouse, the rest of the interview won't matter much. Companies want confident people who will take action.

2. Answer questions with a "yes" or a "no" only and you are doomed. Use each question to expand upon your strengths. Tell stories of what you have accomplished. Give the interviewer a sense of what you are. Nothing worse for an interviewer to hear nothing but yes and no. You will never get hired and the interview will be very short. No way to know who you are.

3. Watch your body language. If you slouch out, you look too comfortable and... well... lazy. Don't be stiff, either. Be comfortable... confident. Make eye contact. Lean forward slightly to show interest. Use your hands to make a point but not to the extreme. Don't take notes.

4. Know something of the company. Don't ask what the company offers you... not on the first interview... instead, ask what the company's problems are and why they want to hire you. Then make up a solution on the spot. Doesn't have to be grand, or even right, but you show two things... you care for the company and its problems, and you can create solutions.

5. Be honest. If you don't know, just say so. Emphasize your strengths, use your weaknesses and failures as teaching pieces... what did you learn from them.

6. Ask lots of questions. The interview is supposed to be about you, but I guarantee lots on interviewers can be so easily side tracked. They will talk about everything, and when they are through, they think you are cool because you were confident, even though they didn't actually learn anything about you. Caution: This could be a sign that the company is not very professional.

7. Have an attitude that you don't give a shit about getting the job. If you come in on your hands and knees begging, then you'll look like a beggar. If you come in as though they need you more than you need them (played conservatively, of course), then you are perceived as a person that is self starting and confident.

OK.. that's my contribution. Good luck.

lotus sutra

Postby lotus sutra » Thu, 02 Jun 2005 6:19 am

Thanks for the useful and comprehensive insights. I believe all these years you have seen all sorts of candidates to write a book. ;)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 03 Jun 2005 3:28 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I've hired more than 200 people in my career, so here's my personal observations.

1. Confidence is the utmost important characteristic. When you are finally invited into the office for an interview, do you walk in looking timid, not sure what is going to happen next, or do you stride confidently towards the desk, make eye contact, and extend your hand for a handshake before the interviewer has time to get up? Trust me... lasting impressions are made in the first 20 seconds and if you come across as a mouse, the rest of the interview won't matter much. Companies want confident people who will take action.

2. Answer questions with a "yes" or a "no" only and you are doomed. Use each question to expand upon your strengths. Tell stories of what you have accomplished. Give the interviewer a sense of what you are. Nothing worse for an interviewer to hear nothing but yes and no. You will never get hired and the interview will be very short. No way to know who you are.

3. Watch your body language. If you slouch out, you look too comfortable and... well... lazy. Don't be stiff, either. Be comfortable... confident. Make eye contact. Lean forward slightly to show interest. Use your hands to make a point but not to the extreme. Don't take notes.

4. Know something of the company. Don't ask what the company offers you... not on the first interview... instead, ask what the company's problems are and why they want to hire you. Then make up a solution on the spot. Doesn't have to be grand, or even right, but you show two things... you care for the company and its problems, and you can create solutions.

5. Be honest. If you don't know, just say so. Emphasize your strengths, use your weaknesses and failures as teaching pieces... what did you learn from them.

6. Ask lots of questions. The interview is supposed to be about you, but I guarantee lots on interviewers can be so easily side tracked. They will talk about everything, and when they are through, they think you are cool because you were confident, even though they didn't actually learn anything about you. Caution: This could be a sign that the company is not very professional.

7. Have an attitude that you don't give a shit about getting the job. If you come in on your hands and knees begging, then you'll look like a beggar. If you come in as though they need you more than you need them (played conservatively, of course), then you are perceived as a person that is self starting and confident.

OK.. that's my contribution. Good luck.

And a fine piece for all! I thought it was very good, and useful, You can only be a Leo

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 03 Jun 2005 3:37 pm

And a fine piece for all! I thought it was very good, and useful, You can only be a Leo

Hee hee hee hee!

BZZZZZTTT!!! Wrong answer! :P 11 to go.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Fri, 03 Jun 2005 9:06 pm

Virgo? Extremely organised and detailed.

Mind you it seems like a Scorpio (straight to the point) answer to me...

I also found this helpful. DH is looking for a change in jobs- will pass on these tips (I found it very interesting that you say not to grovel for the job. Always seem to do the opposite... :roll: )

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 03 Jun 2005 11:05 pm

(I found it very interesting that you say not to grovel for the job. Always seem to do the opposite... )

Well, there could be circumstances where you might have to grovel... perhaps the last job in town with no hope of another. It just seems to me that if you grovel you end up getting hired by someone who likes peopl to grovel.

And of course, the level of "boss enlightenment" may also depend upon the nature of the job you are looking for. If it's for a clerk's position, and you've got a paranoid boss or a boss who thinks his sh*t smells like roses, then he may not like your independence at all.

OTOH, if you're moving into any kind of a halfway professional position, then confidence comes in handy.

Postby Guest » Fri, 03 Jun 2005 11:54 pm

So, this means, NO KOW-TOWING would be job-seekers :D :lol:

The Authority has spoken :)

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 04 Jun 2005 1:15 am

The Authority has spoken

Yes, yes... I would have made such a fine Oracle at Delphi... born 2500 years too late, I guess.

Please send cash, checks, money orders, gold bullion and other tokens of your divine appreciation directly to my Stan Chart account... simply refer the staff to Strong Eagle's personal banker... the high priest of my account shall annoint you in greatness in proportion to your generous gifts.

Postby Guest » Sat, 04 Jun 2005 4:32 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
The Authority has spoken

Yes, yes... I would have made such a fine Oracle at Delphi... born 2500 years too late, I guess.

Please send cash, checks, money orders, gold bullion and other tokens of your divine appreciation directly to my Stan Chart account... simply refer the staff to Strong Eagle's personal banker... the high priest of my account shall annoint you in greatness in proportion to your generous gifts.

You are doing a fine job over here too, SE, for speaking your mind and letting us know where we stand with you and with each other :D

I tried sending a few gold bullions to your account, but your personal banker refused to accept it on the grounds of philanthropy . Now you tell me SE, since when did these bankers ever know anything about philanthropy? I was kinda hoping to be annoited for my greatness by your high priest/priestess :D But no such luck :wink: