Singapore Expats Forum

Jobs in Social Research/Social Work

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Manita

Jobs in Social Research/Social Work

Postby Manita » Tue, 31 May 2005 10:15 pm

Hi,

I'm moving to Singapore with my husband on a dependents pass. I understand that I can work once my employer submits a letter of consent that is approved by the government.

I wanted to know if anyone has tried to find a job with research institutes in NUS or outside it? Are these jobs advertised anywhere? Also, are social work related jobs advertised anywhere (i've already checked out the website of the MCYS and the NCSS and havent found them very useful).

If anyone does have such an experience, could you also give me an idea of the average monthly salary for such jobs.

I have been working in the development sector for the past 5 years and have a masters degree from the University of Michigan, in Ann Arbor, USA. So, i'm looking for something of a senior social worker or research assistant kind of position.

Thank you

egenteka

Postby egenteka » Tue, 31 May 2005 11:35 pm

Hi Manita

I am in the same boat as you. I do know that jobs for NUS or other universities are posted on each institute's website, but you have to surf the site a bit. As far as pay goes, it is never posted on the website. I guess this is something you find out during an interview.
Eleni

piete

Postby piete » Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:45 pm

Hi,

I'm just wondering if you had any success in finding a job? I'm a recently arrived expat in Singapore and my wife is in exactly the same boat as you both were - I'd be interested to know how you both got along in your job hunting and if you had any success. From all the research we've been doing online, Singapore doesn't seem to have that many opportunities for foreign social workers.

cheers,
Pieter

egenteka

Postby egenteka » Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:57 pm

Hi there

Our arrival will be delayed because of a very serious family emergency, so I have not looked for a while. My situation is a bit different than your wife's though. My PhD is in biological sciences not social sciences. In my case there are, as I am finding out, a lot of opportunities. I do not know if that is the same in your wife's case. I guess she somehow needs to come in touch with people in her field. I hope this helps.

Postby Guest » Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:19 am

I had tried for a research asst positon at a NUS political scie institute. The salary is about 40-60 K - dependent on experience. Problem was the institute hired former or current students. (I didnt go to NUS - have a masters from the States).

As for social work, there are a number of orgs in singapore but very low key. here are some to try out:

Unifem Singapore
http://www.unifemsingapore.org.sg/

Action for Aids
http://www.afa.org.sg/

Singapore Association of Social Workers
http://www.sasw.org.sg/public/
(They list job opportunities in Singapore under the "updates" page)