Singapore Expats

places to learn meditation

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Mita

places to learn meditation

Post by Mita » Sun, 29 May 2005 11:58 pm

I am having trouble focusing and concentrating, as well as trouble sleeping on time, prioritising etc etc
I havent had any response to my post below.. i thought maybe this thread will help.. have become increasingly depressed past 24 hours and am starting to feel suicidal and hopeless... will meditation help?

I have done lots of workshops and am aware of what i really need now and that is meditation. I dont have the discipline to do it by myself and i also want a place where i can ask questions if necessary.

A lot of places i inquire hold classes once a week. That does not work for me. I like to learn things in a regular way. its like forming a habit takes 21 days...so i want to be able to attend something at least a few times a week or even daily for the first week

Im on a strict budget so does anyone know of a place i can go or someone willing to tutor me at least for a week daily? For a minimal fee or if its a religious/spiritual place where volunteers work or something?

I really want to get my act together..my brains are bungled and i am unhappy! Would appreciate suggestions, info etc. Thank you

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Mon, 30 May 2005 1:19 am

hey mita, i dont know of any such places. however, until u find something, please feel free to post messages here or pm me if u want. i'm sure something as little as this will help too.

hopefully, someone will come along and post a helpful reply for u. until then, chin up girl. write here as much as u like. do remember, as long as you're alive, theres hope.

somewhere on this forum i read this - When God shuts a door, he opens a window...and i firmly believe in that. some day, u will too...
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Post by Guest » Mon, 30 May 2005 5:34 am

At least for being more focus/to concentrate more, the below was suggested:

Meditation is the end and beginning of everything. Try 30 minutes everyday. Make yourself comfortable. Keep your back straight but relaxed, gaze aimed at a point slightly below eye level. Slowly breathe in, then out. One. Slowly breathe in, then out. Two. Shut down ALL inner dialogue. Everytime you get distracted, start counting your breathe from the beginning again. Try to make it to one hundred.

At first, you will feel hot, bothered, distracted, uneasy. Later you will feel calm, relaxed, alert, focused and energized.

For depression, this is not a light matter which I suppose not that many people dare give suggestions... but the most important thing is to have good friends around who are willing to listen and make time to do things that you enjoy or make you happy. If friends don't work, you might want to consider a professional help?

Take care.

meditatee

Post by meditatee » Mon, 30 May 2005 6:17 am

For many years, I focused on trying to shut everything around me out so that I could concentrate and hit a state of silence.

But recently I am less trying to shut out what is going on around me, and more on inviting it in (damn I hope this is making sense).

It is not about trying to narrow my attention onto a single point by blocking out distractions, but more about opening up my attention to include everything around me and focusing more on experiencing the reality of what is actually happening.

Meditation is not about trying to hit a higher level of awareness (for me). It is more like a training ground on experiencing reality, whatever that may be in any given moment.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Mon, 30 May 2005 11:05 am

Hi Mita,

I was racking my brains trying to figure out how I could help when at the bottom of the page where you hit post reply, I saw these google ads. Now I don't know anything abt these sites but I clicked on them and got their URLs. Maybe you could check them out. In the meantime, pls do post here if you feel like chatting abt anything at all like sapphire suggested. Sometimes it really helps to unburden one's self. Hang in there, you're not alone.

Deep Relaxing Meditation
Free online Audio Demos Release stress, anxiety, depression
www.higherbalance.com

Meditate Deeply as a Monk
Free online audio research based demo. Heals anxiety. Guaranteed!
www.centerpointe.com/google1/

Meditate Using Your PC
Enchanting and entertaining way to learn & practice meditation at home
www.wilddivine.com/ppc.php

The 7 Great Prayers
Pray these 7 prayers everyday for an abundant & blessed life.
www.prayerpower.com/prayers3a.htm

Mita

Post by Mita » Mon, 30 May 2005 1:08 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. Its an uphill battle, ive been down this depression road before. I dont want to get back on medication.. but its also hormonal. I've found a good site for information on natural stuff that i can take...
however i still need to find a place to go for meditation OR is there anyone here who meditates regularly? You see my problem is discipline..
If there's someone who says, ok everyday at 7pm, lets meet at somewhere and meditate together... i will go....and do it...

i havent done any work the whole day... half the day has gone! nothing accomplished because the brain cant settle down.. jumping from one thing to another!

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Tue, 31 May 2005 8:24 am

Mita, if u suffer from depression, arent u supposed to be on medication? i hope u are being treated by a psychiatrist. and if u are, then i bet he hasnt asked u to stop your medication.

i have a close family member with the same problem, and she has been on meds for over 9 years. she seems to be in a far better state of mind now. and its not like she has to pop in 10 pills everyday. i think its more like 1-2 pills daily. down the line, that dosage will be reduced even further.

once u are in a better state of mind and with consultation with your doc, thats when u can stop meds, and move on to yoga or meditation. its not my place to advise u on meds, but i would urge u to see a psychiatrist first. meditation can complement medication.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Mita

Post by Mita » Tue, 31 May 2005 12:33 pm

sapphire wrote:Mita, if u suffer from depression, arent u supposed to be on medication? i hope u are being treated by a psychiatrist. and if u are, then i bet he hasnt asked u to stop your medication.

i have a close family member with the same problem, and she has been on meds for over 9 years. she seems to be in a far better state of mind now. and its not like she has to pop in 10 pills everyday. i think its more like 1-2 pills daily. down the line, that dosage will be reduced even further.

once u are in a better state of mind and with consultation with your doc, thats when u can stop meds, and move on to yoga or meditation. its not my place to advise u on meds, but i would urge u to see a psychiatrist first. meditation can complement medication.
Appreciate yr concern sapphire but i have been off anti derpressants for more than one year. I think/know my depression now is because of a hormonal imbalance, that is the only thing i need, meds finished last month so i will renew the prescription. Came across this link and im going to take some vitamins and increase my fresh food etc

http://www.drpodell.org/alternative_tre ... sion.shtml

Im fairly self aware of whats going on within me... i know i need to get back on the hormone tabs, eat properly, get enough sleep, take vitamins and really do the meditation to help me focus at work.

I think the Raja Yoga centre has something coming up June 6 on a continuous basis for 5 days,, thats a bit of what i need so will check that out.

Thank you all for yr support and help.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Tue, 31 May 2005 6:44 pm

you're welcome and goodluck Mita :)

dont give up...

Shannon Casiandro

Post by Shannon Casiandro » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 4:10 am

Hello Mita,

I wasn't suffering from depression but more of a physical pain. I'm not sure if these guys do meditation but maybe you could call to enquire. Just doing what I can to help you out.

An excellent foot reflexology and head/shoulder massage was done for me by a therapist from Bodpulse after my golf game last weekend. Was very good at relieving shoulder and back pain that I suffered(finally relieved after 2 months of pain!). The price was reasonable too. $20 for 45 minutes either foot, hand reflexlogy or head/shoulder massage. They also do housecalls as well as at Execelsior hotel I think(not sure where they operate from).
I understand from the messuer in charge that they have both male and female therapist available. Please call Mr Nez at 98466950 should all you guys and gals are interested. Oh yeah, specially for those who active in sports!Again I'm not sure if these guys do meditation or yoga but please call to enquire.
Peace!

Post by Guest » Fri, 24 Jun 2005 4:39 am

kosuiko

Post by kosuiko » Mon, 27 Jun 2005 6:47 pm

For a start, just drop in for Zen meditation at Kwan Yin Chan Lin - their website is at www.kyclzen.org
They are located at 205C Lavender Street
Meditation sessions every Wed and Sat evening I think.
The energy at the centre will also assist in healing you at various levels.

Later on, you should try a more advanced form of meditation called Vipassana. It helps to clear past trauma as well as past-life issues. It wipes the slate clean. You require it because it seems that something in the past is clinging on to you (or the other way round).

The Vipassana International Centre of Singapore's website is http://www.sg.dhamma.org/ and you can get more info there.

There is no need to suffer any longer or remain in samsara. But the important thing is to take quick, decisive action so that you can move along on your journey.

Btw, I meditate every day.

May you be well and happy.

resm
Regular
Regular

Yoga lessons

Post by resm » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 5:28 pm

You can also try a Google search on "Ananda Marga Yoga Society Singapore".

They have a Yoga center in Marine Parade.
Same building like McDonalds 07-01
PROUT....the only way out !

Kanesh

DEEKSHA

Post by Kanesh » Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:34 pm

A Deeksha will definite;y help anyone suffering from depression. We must understand that depression surfaces because of the mind and while meditation may help control the mind the attempt is rather futile. It is like fighthing a tsunami wave with a water pistol. A great neurobiological change has to happen.Deeksha is the transfer of the divine conciousness into an individual. It is a neurobiological process involving the activation and deactivation of certain lobes in the brain. This transfer of the divine conciousness leads to great healing, cleansing and removal of blocks in the inner world which stand as obstacles in one's spritual and material progress.
external world, a mere reflection of the inner world

jupiter

Post by jupiter » Sun, 27 Aug 2006 8:59 pm

Mita,

For someone in your situation, jumping into meditation is not advisable. Diksha is a form of spiritual initiation and that also is not advisable to anyone in a weakened mental state. One must be prepared before taking this step.

I can guide you in a holistic lifestyle approach by way of Hatha Yoga. It's the safe and relatively easy way to concentration and meditation while staying grounded. It includes breathing, relaxation and concentration techniques and yoga exercise geared to your level of ability, plus dietary guidelines for physical and mental health and fitness. I teach on a donation basis to those in dire need. Contact me to arrange a consultation. There's no obligation.