Singapore Expats

motorcycle licence

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
peter123

motorcycle licence

Post by peter123 » Tue, 24 May 2005 3:06 pm

I want to ride a motorbike in Singapore. I have a Singapore car licence but dont want to go through the process of getting a bike licence here as it can take 3 years to get the open licence. Does anybody know the fine for riding a motorbike with only a Singapore car licence

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Re: motorcycle licence

Post by Yutenji » Tue, 24 May 2005 4:37 pm

peter123 wrote:Does anybody know the fine for riding a motorbike with only a Singapore car licence
I don't know the official answer, but I'll take a guess that it'll be a whopping fine, a short jail sentence (because, for example, riding without insurance), and probably loss of your car licence too. You'll be caught fairly quickly, because without a licence you can't get insurance ... without insurance you can't get a tax disc ... without a tax disc you'll be pulled over real quick.
Other than that ... fantastic idea (not).

peter123

Post by peter123 » Tue, 24 May 2005 5:01 pm

Thanks for the advise. Guess its back to the drawing board.

peter123

Post by peter123 » Wed, 25 May 2005 2:14 pm

Hey Yetenji,

:wink: The guy at the bike shop agrees with you re. the posible penality. If you think that riding a bike without the correct licence will attract a whopping fine and a short time in the big house, I wonder why the well known CEO just got a $4,000 fine for drink driving and crashing his Porche into 2 cars, one being the cops car? Funny place this !

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Yutenji » Wed, 25 May 2005 4:16 pm

peter123 wrote:Hey Yetenji,

:wink: The guy at the bike shop agrees with you re. the posible penality. If you think that riding a bike without the correct licence will attract a whopping fine and a short time in the big house, I wonder why the well known CEO just got a $4,000 fine for drink driving and crashing his Porche into 2 cars, one being the cops car? Funny place this !
Hi, good points. Justice isn't always as 'blind' as its supposed to be! :roll: