Singapore Expats Forum

Working as an MD - Foreign Medical School Graduate

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.


Working as an MD - Foreign Medical School Graduate

Postby JoeyA » Tue, 24 May 2005 6:28 am

I might be relocating to Singapore from the U.S. My wife graduated from a Medical School in Turkey, but she can't currently practice as a doctor in the U.S. as she is yet to pass the USMLE exams. Does anyone have information regarding whether she will be allowed to work as an M.D. in Singapore? Are there any equivalency exams that she would be expected to pass?

Thanks in advance for your reply...
Joe A.


Postby Reject-boi » Thu, 26 May 2005 6:24 pm

Hi there,

Firstly, your wife does not qualify for medical practice in Singapore as her primary medical qualification is not listed in the government's listing of approved medical schools.

However, if she possesses at least 3-5 years post-housemanship (post MD experience/residency) experience, she could apply as a Medical Officer (Resident).

You mentioned she is pursuing her USMLE exams? - Does she have any UK certifications such as MRCP? MRCPCH? What's her speciality? Does she have any SPECIALITY certification from her home country?

You could email to National Healthcare Group Medical HR as a Medical Officer (Non-Traditional Source). Medical Officers (NTS) are foreign doctors who possess basic medical degree awarded by an overseas medical school not listed in the Schedule of the Medical Registration Act (MRA) of Singapore. They are employed on a 2 years contract, subject to the successful medical registration with the Singapore Medical Council (SMC). The contract may be renewed upon expiry, subject to their work performance and manpower needs of the Company.

Email addresses for the 2 major healthcare groups in Singapore:

National Healthcare Group
Human Resource Department
6 Commonwealth Lane
Level 6, GMTI Building
Singapore 149547
Fax: (65) 6471 2171

Enclose the following with your application:

a. Full personal particulars / CV
b. Educational & Professional Qualifications
c. Career History and Aspirations
d. Present & Expected Salary
e. Contact Number & Email Address
f. Names of 2 Professional References
g. A Non-Returnable Photograph

Another healthcare group - SingHealth offers a Clinical Associate scheme for foreign doctors.

Director, Medical Manpower
11 Third Hospital Avenue
#07-00, Singapore National Eye Centre Building
Singapore 168751
Fax No.: (65) 226 4935

E-mail :

If she is keen on Paediatrics, SingHealth's KK Women's & Children's Hospital offers a Training Fellowship for foreign physicians and at the end of the training, she will be entitled to a certificate of completion of training.

Alternatively, if she does not qualify for practice, she could work as a Research Fellow @ Faculty of Medicine at NUS - look through for the various faculty pages and apply through there.

Good luck.



Thanks a million for this comprehensive answer :-)

Postby JoeyA » Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:51 am

Thanks, great information.

Re: some of the questions you've asked -- my wife completed her 4 year residency in radiation oncology, but she would rather work in a different area as this is a somewhat depressing medical field. She doesn't have any UK certifications, but is attending Kaplan for the USMLE. I think a medical officer role as you've mentioned would be most welcome.

Best regards,
Joe A.


Postby Reject-boi » Wed, 01 Jun 2005 12:04 pm

Good luck. Initiate contact with the relevant institutions and you should be fine.


  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest