Singapore Expats Forum

research jobs and family issues

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

egenteka

research jobs and family issues

Postby egenteka » Tue, 24 May 2005 12:44 am

hello everybody

I need some information. I am finishing up my PhD in molecular taxonomy, phylogeography and evolution at a Canadian University (Guelph, Ontario). I am seriously considering moving to Singapore. I am married with an 11 year old daughter. What is the pay range for someone like me? I have an idea, but it would be informative to have some sort of confirmation. Most importantly, and this is a field where I failed to find any information, would the university or other employers pay for my daughter's tuition? I understand it is extremely expensive to send kids to International Schools there? If they do not pay could my daughter attend a public school instead? What is the language of instruction in those schools? Any information would be extremely helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Eleni

teacher mum

Postby teacher mum » Tue, 24 May 2005 2:44 pm

Hi,

I think it is getting more and more competitive to get work in universities and polytechs here. Perks like International Schooling would be something that might not happen, unfortunately. The fees will range from 11,000 to 25,000 a year depending on where you send you child. The Canadian school is supposed to be wonderful. It costs about 12-15000 per year (increases with age).

The local schools here in contrast will charge approx 30$ a month. The main language of instruction is English. It is up for debate whether this is a good option - many parents will tell it's great while others say otherwise. I don't have any first-hand experience, but my kids are enrolled in a local pre-school. They are the only Caucasian kids there, and we are all very happy.

Obviously, if you can get schooling covered, that's great, but I wouldn't sweat it if you dont' - there are more and more expat kids going to local schools now.

From what I hear, lecturers get paid around 5000-7000 per month. I have browsed a few websites and found this out. You will need to make direct enquiries as obviously this is a huge difference.

Singapore is a great place for kids. If you get a chance, it's well worth it!