Singapore Expats Forum

Research papers presentation

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Research papers presentation

Postby Kimi » Sun, 22 May 2005 4:24 pm

Would it be possible to present a research paper in an academic conference not as an academic by any chance?
Maybe researchers here can enlighten us?

Postby Guest » Mon, 23 May 2005 10:54 am

If you are a grad student, then yes. There are many grad student conferences.

prob not

Postby prob not » Mon, 23 May 2005 2:06 pm

As I understand it, probably not. I'm assuming this is a research paper you conducted privately? For your research to be taken seriously, you'd need to be able to demonstrate its academic credentials, and being associated with a university is the only way I know to do this. Please let us know if you find out otherwise.

Piled High and Deep

Postby Piled High and Deep » Sun, 29 May 2005 1:03 am

Academic affiliation is not necessary. It is very common for industrial researchers to present research papers. However, if you want to present a lecture and do not have a actual academic or industrial affiliation, it won't happen since those are by invitation only. If your goal is simply to present something publicly, there are a multitude of conferences that few serious scientists take seriously. You would stand a good chance of presenting your work in one of those. I get email announcements for such conferences all the time.