Singapore Expats Forum

Kids without Car Seats

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Mary Queen of Arkansas

Kids without Car Seats

Postby Mary Queen of Arkansas » Sat, 21 May 2005 4:27 pm

Does this bother anyone else? I see kids riding on laps all the time that belong in car seats. Not just in taxis -- in cars, lorries, etc... Is this a law in Singapore? If so, why isn't it enforced?

mummy as well

Postby mummy as well » Sat, 21 May 2005 8:48 pm

I was appalled by this when I first got here - they have rules about chewing gum, but don't bother to strap your kids in!!

You can buy a car seat adapter which the child wears as a harness and then they can sit safely in an adult seat-belt. Good for people who don't have cars and need to use taxis.

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Postby yoongf » Sat, 21 May 2005 10:15 pm

It is legally required for kids to belt up using child seats.

Many years ago, Sg authorities did enforce many laws, and it was really a fine city. There were enforcement ppl staking out toilets to see if ppl did flush after use. Flicking of ashes from a cigarette was also enforced as littering. Crossing under a overhead bridge even though there were no cars in sight was also a no-no. In fact, a family outing of 5 can also be considered breaking the law (unlawful assembly).

I guess.. these days.. if the act does not affect others, it’s tolerated. I noticed that if there is a trend of fatal accidents involving seatbelts, the authorities would launch a campaign to clamp down.

It’s all related to what kind of society Sg wants to be. If such acts do not adversely affect safety statistics, then.. I don’t really see the problem. Afterall, given the “little emperor”

Sandpiper

Postby Sandpiper » Sat, 21 May 2005 10:31 pm

It's not just the "locals". Most mornings on the school run to an International School I see a car with children obviously not restrained. Last week at pick up I saw a carload of 5ish year olds ... I assume were on a "playdate"...bouncing around in the car all the way home - one in the front seat.

It made me sick to think that a parent could have such disregard for the safety of a child they had been entrusted with, if not their own children.

DON'T PLAY RUSSIAN ROULETTE WITH CHILDREN'S LIVES. It is not a big deal to get them to put on seat belts (you simply don't go anywhere until they do) but a big deal if they don't and something happens.

beenhere10years

Postby beenhere10years » Sun, 22 May 2005 11:27 am

Yoongf,

Not sure what your point is exactly: "if it doesn't affect others..."? I have not personally seen the effect on a three year old after going through a windscreen, but I can imagine.

You'd think the 'little emporer status' would make people more likely to use car seats. Even a minor traffic accident could result in a fatality if the occupants are not properly restrained. I think you are right though -- one high profile case and the government will jump on it.

I have even seen babies riding on dashboards while the police zoom by -- it's simply not enforced. I think the longer it goes on, the harder it will be to change public awareness.

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Postby yoongf » Mon, 23 May 2005 1:08 am

"If it doesn't affect others"... refers to affecting other road users. The point I am driving at is that I do not wish to see the authorities compelled to enforce a law that’s not exactly going to make much of a difference in safety, given the context of Sg current traffic condition. Drivers here are more responsible, speeds are generally lower, and traffic scheme design is really conservative.

If ppl are not buckling up, and there are no cases of ppl flying through windows, is it then necessary to deploy scarce resources on this issue? I’d rather see the authorities focus on tackling the high fatality rate of motorcyclists.

beenhere10ears

Postby beenhere10ears » Mon, 23 May 2005 6:42 am

OK Yoounf,

It's a fair point. Motorcycles are definitely a problem here in Singapore. But the people deciding to drive recklessly on a motorcycle are supposed to be adults, kids are subject to their parent's good judgement.

I think there is more the government can do regarding car seats. I remember years ago I was driving home form Malaysia and the car in front of me had 2 or 3 kids in the front seat, an infant and little toddlers with no car seats. I asked the immigration officer at the checkpoint if there was a law in Singapore requiring children be placed in car seats -- he had no idea what a car seat was. Shouldn't he?

And before anyone replies with:

you should try driving in Rome
or
good thing you don't live in Cairo
or
you wouldn't last 5 mins in Taipei

Let's just all acknowledge that this is discussion about Singapore and collectively agree that the driving here is much better than it is in 100 different places. :wink: