Singapore Expats Forum

Easy to get a job overseas when you get your degree in Sg??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

cyier

Easy to get a job overseas when you get your degree in Sg??

Postby cyier » Thu, 19 May 2005 5:47 pm

Anyone has any recommendations or any lobangs for overseas jobs?

Postby Guest » Thu, 19 May 2005 8:02 pm

Singapore reputation for education is impressive.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 19 May 2005 9:51 pm

If you are trying to get to the US or some other countries, where paranoia over foreigners taking jobs is reaching a fever pitch, you'll have a hard time getting in.

If you are willing to look at other countries, then I think you have an excellent chance. Depending upon what you want to do and what your background is you might also want to look at NGO's that hire internationally and the Asia Development Bank and the World Bank. Each of these offers opportunities for beginners with suitable qualifications to work in countries that most need them.

Postby Guest » Fri, 20 May 2005 10:52 pm

Singapore reputation for education is impressive in Asia....abroad?....not so sure.

Postby Guest » Sat, 21 May 2005 2:49 pm

You best apply to Singapore 'friendly' countries in my view. Austrailia, NZ and even China is on fairly good terms with Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 21 May 2005 4:07 pm

A degree from a Singapore University will help you a great deal in acquiring a job overseas. But this is only true IF you are a non-Singaporean foreigner who has come to Singapore to get the degree.

Singaporeans with local degrees generally have less pulling power overseas (in the Western countries) than a Singaporean with a Western Degree (assuming they went overseas to actually get the degree). I think this comes from the idea that the local with an overseas degree has a better idea how the REAL world works and not an inward looking 'i've never been out the the country and everything the government tells us is the honest truth." type of learning.

sms