Singapore Expats Forum

Local TV

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Local TV

Postby Guest » Thu, 19 May 2005 10:16 am

What do expats think of local TV programing in singapore?

T2K
Regular
Regular

Postby T2K » Thu, 19 May 2005 11:42 am

I assume you mean the locally made stuff? A lot of what I see on TV here is crap from the US. How many "buffy and the demons" shows can we put on at one time? I've never seen one, but judging by the adverts they must be on all the time.

Locally made comedies: Funny for the local market, though not great. At first I used to not understand them, with all the Singlish and local references, but after a couple years I got to where I could understand them and be mildly amused. Frankie Foo is still my favorite local TV character.

Locally made "dramas": These are the real comedy! The faux-acting is f'ing hilarious! The actors only have one facial expression "pretending to be serious". It has variations like "pretending to be serious and angry", or "pretending to be serious and hurt", or "pretending to be serious and shocked", "pretending to be serious and scared", "pretending to be serious and deep in thought", etc.

It's a tiny TV market though, so I don't think anyone expects too much.

Only regular TV that I watch here is The Simpsons, but it's damn hard to get home by 6pm.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 19 May 2005 11:52 am

The Durian King is my favorite, although no longer on tv. I also liked the series with Adrian Pang (forgot the name) in which he only had 6 weeks left to live.

It is more certain actors I appreciate, rather than series or tv shows. Adrian Pang and Germit Singh (in Pua Chu Kang).

Eric

Pink

Postby Pink » Thu, 19 May 2005 11:55 am

i love Phua Cho Kang! and many other shows like Under One Roof... etc.
too bad, they arent showing anymore~ :(