Singapore Expats

Self-Employed

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
guest123

Self-Employed

Post by guest123 » Mon, 16 May 2005 1:11 pm

Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone has any knowldege on whether it is possible to set oneself up here as Self Employed rather than having to set up a business?Any info, or pointing in teh right direction would be very much appreciated!
Thanks.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 16 May 2005 1:12 pm

Are you PR or Singapore citizen?

Guest123

Self Employed

Post by Guest123 » Mon, 16 May 2005 1:32 pm

I'm here on a LTSVP as my partners working here, would like to set myself up in business as a Personal/Fitness Trainer (have all necessary qualified), just me, no partners, business premises etc. Appreciate that an Employment pass or work permit is needed but just need some guiadance on whats possible, whats not and where to start!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 16 May 2005 2:03 pm

I hope someone else will verify this.

1) I do not believe that you can work at all in any business, even your own on a LTSVP because you are a visitor.

2) If you were on a dependent's pass you could work for yourself.

3) As it is you will need to file for an Entrepass, the right to start and run a business. How you ultimately set it up with the ACRA is up to you.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Mon, 16 May 2005 2:06 pm

Like Strong Eagle told you already, ACRA (Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority) is the place to register yourself online as a self proprietor: www.acra.gov.sg

Here you will read that you need to have a Singapore IC to do so...

Eric

Post by Guest » Mon, 16 May 2005 3:07 pm

1) I do not believe that you can work at all in any business, even your own on a LTSVP because you are a visitor.

I believe, if you are freelance and not residing in the country for longer than 183 days, you do not have to register for business, You are however still liable for tax in the Country where you reside.

There are special circumstances for actors, temp workers, freelancers, self employed, that arrive on visitors pass and their services requested.be it a seminar lecture, coaching, training, ect ect.

You do however have to report, to acra, and they may hold 35% of your income untill you leave the Country