How can I transport my big dog?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Kelly

Post by Kelly » Thu, 10 Jun 2004 6:30 pm

I'll come to Singapore next month, want to take my dog (70 lbs) to park or beach weekly. But I can't drive.

Any transportation(s) allow(s) my dog? Is my dog required to wear muzzle?

Yutenji

Post by Yutenji » Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:33 pm

Honestly, this could be tough. While Singapore is generally dog-tolerant, Islam teaches the Muslims (about 10-20% of the population) that dogs are dirty and they (Muslims) have to clean themselves in a particular way if they inadvertently touch (or are touched by) a dog. This seems (just my theory) to have had a ripple effect for the rest of the population, so while no-one is hostile to dogs, they certainly aren't welcome in restaurants (I agree with that one!) nor most public transport.
Some taxis will accept dogs, but it's best when calling a taxi to tell them in advance, to avoid rejection when the taxi arrives. I don't know whether even the most tolerant taxi-driver will be happy about a big (!) dog, since ours is quite small.
I don't think dogs normally need muzzles, but except for a couple of designated 'dog parks' all dogs have to be on a lead when they're on public property.
Sorry I couldn't give you better news. Good luck.

monicae

Post by monicae » Fri, 11 Jun 2004 1:18 pm

Yes it's tough. I have 2 cocker spaniels and very seldom I can find taxi drivers who are willing to take even one of them. Sometimes I try booking a taxi and specifying that I have a medium size dog. On seeing my dog they will just reject me and say they tot it was a hand carry dog. So it's really frustrating. But good thing is that I live not too far away from the beach so it's not that bad.

I've got an email from ASD that recently there are some ppl leaving meat laced with rat poison in the parks to "kill" pest like stray dogs and cats. They are suspecting that these could be done by an organization. So please be careful when u bring your dogs to the park.

Singapore is really not a very dog friendly place at all. Even thou pet safari in Simei is for pets and their owner to shop, there is this shop that sell plants there, they are not friendly towards animals at all. My dog sniffed their plant and he came rushing out shouting at us. I'm was really pissed. If you don't like animals don't open a shop in Pet safari!!

One time I brought my dogs to Pasir Ris beach for a swim, About 400metres away a muslim family was swimming too. We went for a swim with our dogs in our swimming costume. Suddenly this muslim boy from the other side came and started shouting vulgarities in Bahasa melayu at us. I could understand cos I understand the language. He called us shameless for swimming in our swimming costumes and other vulgarities at our dogs. It's horrible. Anyway if you want to bring your dogs to a beach, go to either East coast or Sentosa beach.

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Mon, 14 Jun 2004 2:47 pm

Thank you guys for your replies... not quite a good news, but very important to know for better survival...

By the way, is car/van service (driver included) easy to get in Singapore? I checked a company called "pet Mover" quite a long time ago, I couldn't use it but I forget the reasons, probably because it provided very limited passenger seats, or my dog's required staying in a box...

Yutenji

Post by Yutenji » Mon, 14 Jun 2004 3:52 pm

Entirely by chance, we've found a 'Pet Taxi' service. I really can't comment on whether they're good or bad since we have not had any need to use them ourselves yet. Just passing on a possible lead ... Phone: 62525742. (I hope this doesn't break the rules for the forum).
Good luck

KHL

Post by KHL » Mon, 31 Jan 2005 8:06 pm

CATEGORY (A) DOGS

Pit Bull (includes American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the American Bulldog).
Akita
Neapolitan Mastiff
Tosa
Crosses of Pit Bull, Akita, Neapolitan Mastiff or Tosa

Category A dogs cannot be imported into Singapore as of August 1991. Existing dogs must be sterilised and permanently identified with a microchip implant. The owner must take out a third-party insurance policy of $100,000 on the dog and put up a $5,000 cash bond which will be returned when the dog dies or is no longer residing in Singapore. The bond will be forfeited if the owner allows the dog in a public place without a leash or muzzle.

CATEGORY (B) DOGS
dogs must be leashed and muzzled at all times when in public.

Bull Mastiff
Bull Terrier
Doberman Pinscher
German Shepherd Dog or related Shepherd Dog breeds
Rottweiler
Perro de Presa Canario

Dogs forums Singapore (http://dogsforum.sg)