Singapore Expats Forum

How to check whether a company is registered/valid?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

kansah
Regular
Regular

How to check whether a company is registered/valid?

Postby kansah » Fri, 13 May 2005 7:37 pm

Hi there,
:oops: Is there a way to check whether a company or business is valid/registered properly in Singapore :?:

How many occurences have there been of a foreigner being hoodwinked into coming to Singapore on a "supposed" job and end up being shipped to another place to work as a prostitute or sweat shop? You know the white slavery thing?

Please pardon a paranoid person if I have offended anybody ( possibly my prospective employer? :oops: ).

Answers will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. :D
Think of the solution; not the problem.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 13 May 2005 9:18 pm

Every company that does any kind of business in Singapore must be registered with the ACRA. If you know the name of the company, then you can look it up at:

http://www.acra.gov.sg/index.html

If you don't find the company there, then something is wrong. You need to check both "businesses" and "companies".

I believe there are certain exclusions to this rule if the business is something like a sole proprietorship run out of the home.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sat, 14 May 2005 12:32 am

You are totaly right again Strong eagle, even sole proprietors need to be registered with ACRA.

Like myself..... 8)

Eric