Singapore Expats Forum

Running Wireless and Cable Connected together?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
kiwi20005

Running Wireless and Cable Connected together?

Postby kiwi20005 » Thu, 12 May 2005 11:05 pm

Hi guys,

Wondering if you could shed some light for me.

I'm currently connected to the Max Online 2000 service running from a wall cable point in my master bedroom. My flat mate also wants to connect to the Internet. But there's a problem, in that, there's no cable point in her room for her to run from a seperate account. She doesn't want me to run a cable from my room or have a socket put in. Instead, she's decided to sign up for the Max Online 2000 wireless service.

My question is; would I still be able to run my comp via the cable point and have her surfing wirelessly at the same time. Would this cause any conflict between the two systems -wireless/fixed cable? I guess I have the option on joining her with the wireless service, and this is probably more sensible. But it all seems a bit complicated and I really don't want to have to buy extra PC cards or whatever for my Notebook?

Hoping you could give me some advice. Thanks

swordfish

Postby swordfish » Fri, 13 May 2005 12:27 am

You guys should have just simply shared the expense of your existing system. All you needed to have was a wireless router: you can still plug directly into the router and she uses its wireless functions.

You need:
a) wireless router ($125)
b) wireless card for her PC ($75)

All of this on 1 account and it will have very little impact on your speed. At some point you can upgrade to wireless for your PC to eliminate the cables if you like.